How to remove residue left by duct tape on ceramic tiles ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a DIY newbee and found this forum only last week. Very helpful folks here on this forum !

Last weekend, I had to paint by bathroom ceiling. To prevent the paint getting on the adjacent tiles, I used duct tape that I already had to hand (instead of buying some masking tape - don't laugh - I did say I was a newbee !:)

The ceiling paint is looking good , yay ! HOWEVER, when I removed the duct tape from the top of the tiled walls, I realised the mistake I had made. The duct tape had left a residue on the ceramic tiles at the top of the walls.

Question:

How do I remove this residue of the duct tape from the ceramic tiles ?

Thanks very much all !

Sponsored Links
The supermarkets sell sticky staff removers. Usually they put them near the washing powders or household cleaning goods.

white spirit will work but put masking tape along the ceiling first then apply it using a cloth let it soak for 10 minutes should come off easy

Sponsored Links
You could try a cloth with some baby oil on it ;)

Good for all sorts of cleaning job, including (of all things) tar, and dead flies, from car paintwork.

Thanks all very much for your suggestions.

I used a cloth soaked in white spirit to rub out the residue. Some patches needed quite a bit of rubbing and scrubbing, but got it all out eventually.

Cheers.

I would always suggest Kent Acrysol, it doesn't smell nearly as bad a white spirits, and does the job a lot quicker.

It is a lot more expensive though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back