How to remove this render?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We're getting an aluminium sliding door installed instead of the existing PVC windows and I would like to remove the render above the window as per the photograph. It's 2cm thick on (as far as I can see from the inside) a wooden lintel. Any advice on how to do it without making a pig's ear of it? Would it be possible to leave the front face and just hack out the underside? Thanks!
View media item 78869

Sponsored Links
We're getting an aluminium sliding door installed instead of the existing PVC windows and I would like to remove the render above the window as per the photograph. It's 2cm thick on (as far as I can see from the inside) a wooden lintel. Any advice on how to do it without making a pig's ear of it? Would it be possible to leave the front face and just hack out the underside? Thanks!

If you're paying someone to install the sliding door, won't they ease the existing out and make good any mess?
I can't see the full pic, bu they may be able to ease it out at the bottom and it will drop clear from the render and not cause much damage.
I think you're saying there are windows there currently, so I'm guessing there's some brickwork underneath the window(s) to be removed also?

If you do remove any render from the underside, there should be a stainless steel external bead on the corner. This will have 'wings' that will extend each side. Also, if the render is 2cm thick on wood, the chances are it was applied with some metal mesh in there, otherwise I'm not sure the render would have stuck.
This will not make it easy to cut anything out.
Then there is matching the previous finish also...

Thanks, I feared you might say that. I don't think there'll be any trouble getting the windows out, I just wanted to reduce the rebate because the new doors will be deeper than the windows. By the sounds of it, it's a lot of hassle.

The window company are two hundred miles away and we're preparing the aperture. Given that everything else has been stripped back to the brick, I was hoping to give them the dimensions to the lintel. I'll flag it up to them and see what they say. Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back