How to repair a hob chip ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
There is a chip out of my hob top. I'm not sure what the hob top is made of, I presume it's glass (or a type of glass / ceramic).

It's really sharp where the chip is and I recently cut my hand quite badly as I cleaned the over top. I wondered if anyone knows of any 'resin' or some other substance (preferably black) that I could fill the gap with to at least take away the sharp edges.

Does anyone know of anything I could use for this or has anyone got any "out of the box" ideas for this.

Many thanks

John ;)

(please see attached piccies)

Sponsored Links
John you could use an Araldite resin glue (or similar). Try and get some black pigment, possibly a cement dye and mix that in to colour the araldite (you will only need a pinch of pigment). Let it cure and lightly sand until smooth. (You could also try using a small amount of black shoe polish to colour - try a sample first to see if it cures ok - please let me know if it works if you try this method).

Without the colourant araldite looks like a murky green colour (it looks a bit snotty!). You may be able to live with this for such a small area?

LooPrEvil,

A big thanks for the suggestion. I'll try and get hold of some Araldite tomorrow and give it a whirl.

I'll try the shoe polish as a colourant first as I'm sure that they probably only sell cement dye in big bags?

I'll certainly post back and let you know how I get on.

Many thanks for your great idea!

Cheers

John :D

Sponsored Links
Would have though polish would melt or weaken glue mix given the heat.You can get plumbers repair putty which is both dark in colour and water and heat proof.

Many thanks for all the replies. You've helped me out no end!

I went to B&Q this morning to get araldite but found Unibond Repair Express Power Putty. After reading the package it sounded ideal (good for heat etc).

Luckily there was a pack with 3 pieces missing reduced to £2 as well which was a right result!

So, I've fill in the gap and, when it cures, I'm going to give it a little bit of a sanding and then paint it.

I've attached pics in the hope this thread might help others out in the future with the same problem.

By the way, anyone got any recommendations on what type of black paint to use?

Thanks again for all your excellent help

Cheers

By the way, anyone got any recommendations on what type of black paint to use?

You can buy heat resistant fridge and cooker paint in black gloss, or you could try your local motor spares shop as they usually stock various coloured heat resistant engine glosses too.

Thanks for that misterhelpful,

I've ordered some black cooker paint from ebay.

Cheers

Putty should be shaped with wet hand while still pliable to get a perfect finish before it cures, does not sand as well.

A lot of good suggestions there Johnny. The product you found is similar to Araldite (an epoxy resin).

My reasoning for adding a colourant is it would be permanent and integral, and would not eventually rub off through the harsh cleaning process that cookers are subject to over time.

However that is not really an issue with your approach, because you will have plenty of paint left over to touch up with as and when necessary.

The photos show you are doing a good job of it.

Ahh Danechip. My missus phoned me yesterday to say that she'd called Autoglass and Gavin had came round and had injected some of his special resin. Only after she'd rang off, did I realise that I had the car at work that day, and the windscreen wasn't chipped. :eek: :eek: :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back