How to repair old conservatory roof panel that slide down..?? See Photo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As you can see on photos my conservatory roof panel slides down and makes a gap in the middle. I tried to force that panel back in its position but its not working. I understands there is some way of loosening that panel and get it back to its place. Also I can see some rubber seals loose as well which I want to replace to avoid any leak.

This is an old conservatory and as I planning sell house after lockdown period, so I don't want to invest lost of money and planned to do this with some inputs here . Please see photos

Panel Locking1.jpg
Panel Locking2.jpg
Roof Gap.jpg
Roof Gap3.jpg

Attachments

• Roof Gap2.jpg
    Roof Gap2.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You can hit the bottom of the panel with a mallet/hammer once you have placed some timber across the bottom of the panel so you don't smash the panel. They don't always go back in because sometimes the rubber gasket gets caught. If it does go back in you can wedge a piece of polystyrene between the gutter and the panel to stop it sliding down again for a while.

Sponsored Links
You can hit the bottom of the panel with a mallet/hammer once you have placed some timber across the bottom of the panel so you don't smash the panel. They don't always go back in because sometimes the rubber gasket gets caught. If it does go back in you can wedge a piece of polystyrene between the gutter and the panel to stop it sliding down again for a while.

You can see edge bending on second photo above as I tried hit with mallet and put it back to its place. It didn't move at all. I have shown the closeup picture as it looks to be some sort of locking system..?? I thought someone could help me with some tips to dismantle it easily...??
Lock.JPG

It does look like every panel is about to leak, you could use flash band as a temporary measure:

Andy
Thanks, probably some already used in the roof. Need to find a better solution than tape. If I could find a way to loosen those panels, by loosening it I could put them back to its place. These panels just slipped down a bit though looking old its still functional if I can place them back .

Attachments

• Lock.JPG
    Lock.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 135
Last edited by a moderator:
I have had to repair one of these for a family member, I tried to tap the panel back into place with a piece of timber and mallet. Nothing moved, I then covered the joint from top to bottom with flash band, it lasted 2 years before I remove the complete panel and fitted a new one siliconed into place then refitted the capping back on.

As I said, your conservatory needs renewing or converted to an extension with planning permission.

Andy

We had a similar locking system on our conservatory and a couple of the panels kept slipping and i had to put back into place a few times. Ultimately, it was a horrid conservatory and we ripped out the whole thing.

However, you can remove the top beading if you're careful which will release the panel and allow you to push it back into position. But the plastic bead will be fragile and may break when you lever out the top edge. However, if its slipped once, it will do it again. I'd go with flashband as a temporary fix.

I understand they naturally creep down as they move with thermal expansion and contraction, with gravity encouraging downward movement.

When I had a carport done, the person doing the roof said that only the top of each sheet should be rigidly fixed.

Thanks very much. I have seen videos where panels removed easily. But I couldn't will have to try again. thanks

I managed to remove problem panel, cleaned up and ready to put it back. Two problems I need to resolve now.

1. These panels got metal sheet on both sides and thermocol sort of material in between. One issue issue this causes loud noise when rains outside!! I need a solution for that . Any ideas..? Any paint that reduces sound in this case..? Any other unique solution..? Top is white colour, so any material/coating white colour will do. Any idea/solution much appreciated.

2. These panels got rubber beadings on both sides. haven't managed to find replacement. Not sure how to fit those beadings either.

Any help please..

I managed to remove panels and did paint 2 of them. But have following issues...

Paint work doesn't looks like smooth and some paint cracks appears now. I tried multiple coats on one panel (panel #1) that's the one got cracks. May be because first coat was wet when applied second coat?? Other one (Panel#2) done single coat no cracks, but very thin cover. I used cheap ALDI paint till now . after seeing quality moving to Sandtex Paint now . This time also bought primer undercoat from Sandtex as well. (see photos)

Not sure these issues are because of the fact that its still bit cold outside or something else or 'low quality ALDI paint' . Hop move to more quality paint will solve issue..? I am planning to delay further work until proper summer!! Any suggestions please..

CRACKs (1).jpeg
New Paint.jpeg
Old Paint.jpg
Thin Coat.jpeg

was trying to find correct gasket to ensure no leaks from the conservatory roof once I place painted panels back. But unable to find exact sized ones!!. Please see photos. One with tick mark is the profile of one needed, I managed to get only a smaller one!. Any help much appreciated. Thanks
Gasket measurments.jpeg
What I got vs what needed.jpeg

Attachments

• Lock.JPG
    Lock.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 130
  • New Paint.jpeg
    New Paint.jpeg
    327.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Old Paint.jpg
    Old Paint.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Thin Coat.jpeg
    Thin Coat.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 115

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back