How to repair porch roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi forum,
Please can anyone advise how to repair and make good my front door porch roof?
The mini roof edges and mouldings are pretty much rotten in few points. I also posted a picture of same design / age roof from my neighbor who dismounted the lot and replaced it with a plastic roof (it looks awful - I am not going to do the same).

In particular, my question how much mouldings replacement is advisable and how much I can salvage (sanding and applying wood repair resin)?

Many Thanks

Attachments

• detail left.jpg
    detail left.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 125
  • full - Copy.jpg
    full - Copy.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 132
  • pillar bottom.jpg
    pillar bottom.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 136
  • thumbnail_IMG_3826.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3826.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 123
  • timber slabs from neighboor roof.jpg
    timber slabs from neighboor roof.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 116
  • top detail.jpg
    top detail.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 135
  • top left.jpg
    top left.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 129
  • top right.jpg
    top right.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 132
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 117
Sponsored Links
You will need to determine the extent of the rotten timber which may be deeper and further than appears to the naked eye. Cut back to sound wood. For smaller areas resin repair will suffice.

For larger areas screw replacement wood to sound wood below or use a half lap joint. In either case, leaving it slightly less deep you can bed it on resin which can be sanded to shape It will hide the join when painted. I use meranti, it's workable, denser and less knotty than whitewood.

Some of the porch appears to be constructed of a ply casing (or similar), which may be more straightforward to replace.

Blup

You will need to determine the extent of the rotten timber which may be deeper and further than appears to the naked eye. Cut back to sound wood. For smaller areas resin repair will suffice.

For larger areas screw replacement wood to sound wood below or use a half lap joint. In either case, leaving it slightly less deep you can bed it on resin which can be sanded to shape It will hide the join when painted. I use meranti, it's workable, denser and less knotty than whitewood.

Some of the porch appears to be constructed of a ply casing (or similar), which may be more straightforward to replace.

Blup
Thanks Blup,
I am considering doing it myself now but still not sure how to. The most concerning point is the rotten edges of the three roof planks. As you can see from the picture, the roof is made of 3 planks with a steel sheet (painted black) sitting on it. I cannot remove the steel sheet because it's encased onto the bricks - too much work / risk to remove and replace it. So not sure how to repair these planks that seem the most rotten bits of all. In the picture, you can see my neighbor's 3 planks (he replaced his roof with GRP) that gives an idea how my roof is built

Attachments

• IMG_1505 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1505 - Copy.JPG
    338.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1505 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1505 - Copy.JPG
    338.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1508.JPG
    IMG_1508.JPG
    306.9 KB · Views: 98
Sponsored Links
Do you mean lead sheet rather than steel sheet, you will need an expert to change that, especially if is the source of the leak causing the rot, or you may be able to use good quality shed/roofing felt.

Blup

.. thanks Blup, it's not lead - it's made of steel.. It's not causing the leak just. The issue is that the black steel did not cover on the side of the wood planks and moldings and had no gutters so rainwater simply trickled down the side (see blue fence) over the wood..

Wondering how fiddling this job could become; should I remove the black steel sheet (including flashings) and replace the wood planks and the lot of V shaped timber and then call a roofer to restore the roof flashings and put the steel back in place or suggest better way of doing it?

Many Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1510.JPG
    IMG_1510.JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 91

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back