How to repair this sort of nick in wire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a dummy and accidentally cut a bit into some wiring in my house. It caused the fusebox to go off but it turns back on again and works. So basically, I'm wondering, can I just tape it up again with electrical tape? I'm definitely no electrician and would get one in if it's something they'd need to sort out.

Sponsored Links
Forgot to attach photos

Attachments

• PXL_20221208_132820673.jpg
    PXL_20221208_132820673.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 195
  • PXL_20221208_132807984.jpg
    PXL_20221208_132807984.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 191
No, just taping up a cable is not considered an acceptable repair method.

Where is this cable? what does it connect to?

Sponsored Links
That's a very good idea! A bit of floor might have to come up for a proper repair though. Is that concrete or plywood/floorboards?

What other sockets/appliances are on that circuit?
Assuming those two cables pictured, go to the single socket and the socket is part of a ring, it may be possible to reduce the rating of the MCB in your CU to 20A and treat the remaining cables as radials (and the damaged cable being disconnected from both ends)?
Still a job for an electrician though! :)

get an electrician in. Although it looks a small nick, it's a bigger job than you think and certainly not for someone who doesn't know what they are doing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back