Shocking New Build Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had to pop one of the double sockets out in the breakfast room over the weekend.

As I pulled it out one of the wires into it seamed very loose so I removed the socket completly to investigate.

One of the two cables into the metal back box just pulled out, about 1metre of cable, with some remains of insulation tape on the end.

So I cut a small hole in the dry lined wall to investigate.

Turns out that the electrician who wired the house when it was bult had a ten gallon hat & a horse.

The offending cable had the insulation stripped from about 2" of the live, neg & earth, the wires were then twisted together, wrapped in isullation tape, then taped to the cable to "secure".

Whilst it was PITA to sort out, I'm glad I found it.

Sponsored Links
I think all you found was one cable wrapped around another for the purposes of pullling in the cable.

NO, this was carrying current, one end of it was actually connected into the terminals of the double socket. Then 1meter up was this 'dodgy' join.

Sponsored Links
This wall mounted unit, is it going to be fixed to the wall and no one else know about what's behind it apart from yourself?

This wall mounted unit, is it going to be fixed to the wall and no one else know about what's behind it apart from yourself?

Yes, why????? I suspect there's some regulation about "accesibility" or something similar I didn't know about.

It would be better to have used insulated crimps and heatshrink, if you do fit crimps use a ratchet type crimper.

I can still do that as I have an access hatch!!!!! Also have access to ratchet crimpers, terminal etc from work.

Really the juction box was all I had at the time & was slightly better than twisting the wire together and wrapping in insulation tape as the builders did. Although it's been there 10 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back