Taping up live wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've had to remove a faulty double socket and have taped togeter with insulating tape the three live wires, the three neutral wires and the three earth wires. No one is in the house, will it be safe to leave for a few days until i can get to fit a new socket? :confused:

Sponsored Links
No, you must not turn the power back onto the circuit like this, at least get some chock block and joint the wires soundly and cover up the hole. If not, leave the power off to this circuit.

If no one is in the house then have you isolated the sockets or are you still using them?

RMS Not happy with electricity these days, its my daughters house just got it Monday and we are going away for a few days (the house will be empty) but difficult to get back to the house. there are two MCBs for sockets but it does not seem to be one for upstairs and one for downstairs. the only thing that needs to be on is the fridge freezer, but don't know which circuit this is on. Also heating (water) but I think that this has a MCB for itself. would it be safe if the wires were terminated in chock blocks? Thanks for any help im a bit worried about leaving the house safe.

Sponsored Links
Yeah it would be fine in connector blocks as long as no one is in the house. This is not adequate for making wires safe i normal conditions but in your case no one will be in the property so it should be okay, also i would tape the connector blocks up.

there are two MCBs for sockets but it does not seem to be one for upstairs and one for downstairs.

are you sure? could the labelling on the cu be mixed up? would check this out by switching them to see what you have/dont have when doing so. this may be handy for future reference in the house also.

make sure you sort the socket out first though and if your a little unsure of which circuit is which please prove dead the circuit for the socket your working on or you might get a little suprise! :eek:

choc block is the better option, just taping together is a big no no. get some 30A rated choc block and connect the wires together correctly ( if in any doubt as what goes where please ask). make sure you make a nice neat, tight job of the connections. as long as its just the freezer thats running and nothing else it should be fine but get it sorted before unpacking your suitcases after yout trip :D

Thanks guys,

So if i securly connect the three lives into one chock block and the three neutrals into another and the three earths into another and tape them up and no one enters the room - will the circuit be safe? dont want any problems to come back to. please answer I know its getting late but off in the AM. Or turn off the breaker that feeds the socket? best bet that eh?

thanks worried Dad :cry:

terminal block will be fine as long as there is noone arround who will mess with it.

pugwash

So am I right in thinking that there is no problem with leaving out the socket as long as the wires are all made off safely?

you could turn off the breaker for peace of mind if your that worried but if you choc block it all up well like you described it'l be fine, add a bit of insulation tape aswell.

you could cover the socket over but if no man or beast is going to be in then it doesnt matter.

just switch off everything else on the circuit for added peace of mind and leave just the freezer on.

but get it sorted asap when you get back.

Thanks industyspark

Makes me feel a bit better

No fun at Centre Parcs for four days nattering :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back