How to replace a straight piece of drainage pipe (e.g. 110mm)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We fear we may have cracked/damaged a run of underground pipe coming from our septic tank into the drainage field. Some groundworks were being done and the trench (900mm) has filled up with nasty water... without wading in we can't tell if that's a damaged pipe or just the thing working as it's supposed to underground.

Advice on that welcome, BUT my question is, if you have a straight length of drainage pipe you need to repair, how can you do this? The pipe is very rigid and the push-connectors take quite a bit of pipe inside so how can you physically get a straight bit of pipe between two connecters? Are there any tricks of the trade here, or connectors made for this sort of scenario when you're not laying everything new and are confined?

Sponsored Links
If it plastic pipe, use a 'Slip Coupling', these do not have the stops inside so can be slid fully over one section of pipe, then pulled back over the adjoining section to make a joint. Just ensure you use plenty of pipe jointing lubricant to ensure the seals dont snag. If it's Clayware, 'Fernco' couplings should do the job.

As for the water, given the rainfall of late, the water table is probably quite high, so possible the leach field isn't draining very well. Been out to empty tanks before now that were filling back up almost as fast as I was pumping out, due to the outfall acting as a land drain.

I never heard of those, sounds very useful - thanks.

It turns out the digger had indeed gone through the pipe! But just as we were getting worried the chap turned up with a spade, jumped in the poo-trench and connected a new piece. Phew!

Sponsored Links
I would reckon if they had a £ for every time they've repaired a pipe like that, then they wouldn't still be doing it now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back