'Underground' soil pipe/fittings above ground

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. My understanding is that, other than for being thicker-walled and hence 'stronger', the only material difference between 'underground' (brown/terracotta) and 'above ground' (black/grey/white) 110 mm soil pipe and fittings is that the 'underground' ones are not UV stabilised, and are therefore said to be unsuitable for use where exposed to sunlight.

However, I have a fair bit of (push fit) 'underground' pipe and fittings left over from previous jobs and it would seem a shame not to use it for some work on an outdoor stack that I will be doing fairly soon. I therefore wonder whether it might be acceptable (for at least 'a good few years'!) if painted - which it will have to be doing, anyway, because of the differing colours. If I do this, do I take it that underground pipes/fittings will work satisfactorily when 'mixed' with 'overground' ones, and vice-versa?

I do wonder how real the UV issue actually is, in practice. We have a similar issue in the Electrics forum, since PVC-sheathed electrical cable is said to be unsuitable for outdoor use (e.g. clipped to outside walls) because of its susceptibility to UV radiation, such that we have to advise people not to do it. However, many of us have had such cables outdoors, not protected from sunlight, for many years or decades, without them coming to any detectable harm.

Whilst talking about soil pipe, a couple of further questions about fittings, if I may ..... Firstly, is there any reason why someone would use a seemingly 'unswept' branch connector such as this:
1687568676622.png
rather than something like .....
1687568713467.png

.... since intuition/common sense would seem to suggest that the latter is always going to be preferable? Am I missing something?

Secondly, if one uses an 'access branch/tee', something like this one, can one, through the access opening, get rods down the vertical pipe, as well as along the branch? ...
1687568898226.png

Thanks to you all for your continuing help and advice.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Suitable and regular painting, should be fine.
No undercoat needed - straight on with gloss
Thanks both for your rapid responses. That's what I would probably have done anyway (even with 'abode ground' pipe/fittings'), since there will probably be some remaining bits of cast iron which certainly need regular painting.

I suspect that they have all been copying one another, since virtually everything one reads on-line says that, because of the lack of resistance to UV, underground pipe/fittings should not be installed in situations in which they would be exposed to light or heat (without defining what they mean by 'heat'). Unless there are other differences between the materials (other than UV resistance), which I doubt, I don't see why the underground pipe should be any more susceptible to (environmental/ambient) 'heat' - in fact, probably less so, given its greater wall thickness. Is that correct?

I also presume that I'm right in saying that there should be no problem 'mixing and matching' underground/overground pipe and (push fit) fittimgs (which implies that the ODs are the same) - is that correct?

Does anyone have any thoughts about the other coupleof questions I asked about fittings?

Thanks for your continuing assistance.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back