How to replace heating pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hi all. Please help if you can. I would like to replace the pump position to vertical when fitting a new one.

I've been round my neighbours who has the same set up only he's pump is in the vertical position and a slight difference in pipe configuration..

On my picture it shows 2 pipes on the back wall going up into the expansion tank. The 22mm hangs over the top and points down into the tank but above water line. The 15 mm goes into the bottom which I take it has water constantly inside the pipe. Then I also have the water feed controlled by stop cock.

On my neighbours these 2 pipes are connected together where they go up the back wall of airing cupboard.

What I don't understand is how does my pump actually pump water around?
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Because I thought pumps should be in the vertical position because something to do with air being trapped and it's not good for the pump.

Isolate the valves either side.

Loosen the four Allen bolts.

Rotate the head 90 degrees.

Re-tighten.

Then crack the nuts on the valves and rotate the pump assembly 90 degrees so that the little chrome cap in the middle is horizontal.

Job done.

Panic over.

Pumps should never pump down. Unless they have an integrated AAV.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dan for your help.

By turning the head 90 degrees what does that achieve?
Should I join the 15mm to the 22mm at the back wall like my neighbours?

I know my heating works but I can't see how water goes into feed the pump and then why it doesn't continue all the way up and the overflow into the top of expansion tank. Thank you.

You don't want the electrical box of the pump underneath when the body is turned.

Pumps are not pumps.

They are circulators.

Joining the 15 into the 22 wouldn't be a bas thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back