1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

How To Replace This Mixer Tap?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Jason42, 26 Feb 2021.

1. Jason42

Jason42

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My trouble is removing the old tap. There are two copper pipes coming from the underneath. I can undo the the lower nuts. But how do I undo the upper ones? There is little room with the sink pipes. etc

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Andydevon

Andydevon

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. oldbuffer

oldbuffer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    1. As Andydevon says, get a set of monbloc tap spanners. They are box spanners.
    2. Undo securing nut and remove metal and rubber "horseshoe" washers.
    3. Isolate water. Undo hot and cold connections (below base of sink level) and remove compressions nuts and olives from lower end of pipes. If access is difficult, cut the pipes just above the connections, which is easier to do anyway.
    4. Remove old tap. The copper pipes attached to the base of the tap are of soft copper, and can be bent so they go through the hole in the sink.

5. Jason42

Jason42

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks! But the trouble is I can't undo the securing not has there is a hot and cold copper pipe coming from underneath the tap in the way. The securing nut seems to be in the way so I can't undo the hot and cold copper pipe nuts! These pipes seem to fimly fit lower down. I tried mol grips to twist but no joy. Should I cut the copper pipe?

6. Chris_W

Chris_W

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If the pipes are in the way, I tend to gently bend them so I can get monobloc tap spanner in.

7. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just cut the pipes after isolating the water, you will need to fit new pipes anyway with the new tap. Modern ones tend to use flexible pipes anyway, for the final section of pipe. You will need a proper long box or tube spanner to undo the nut on the horseshoe shaped metal bracket.

8. Sponsored Links