How to replace wall lights with old style wiring?

Sponsored Links
This is the wall light 1 connected to the new fitting

Attachments

• 20160206_183120.jpg
    20160206_183120.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 148
Ah, ok. Please refrain from using this neon indicator any further.

Just connect up the red and black cables within the same sheath to the brown and blue of the lights.

Sufficiently twist the bare earth wires together and keep the OUT of the terminal block where brown or blue is concerned.

Sponsored Links
Nothing happens Midas Man

This is how I've connected it (image)

Attachments

• 20160206_184838.jpg
    20160206_184838.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 139
Damsel, are you able to leave the electricity off in a safe condition in the meantime?

Please don't be tempted to try any more wiring combinations, and remember, absolutely no shame in getting an electrician round.

Your wiring is a bit unusual, though no doubt nothing that can't be put right.

Thank you Sparkwright I have safely insulated wires with correct tape. I can't afford electricians they are too expensive otherwise I would of got one round hours ago haha I will purchase the multimeter and then see if I can figure it out. I have managed to change two ceiling lights and one wall light successfully just not these wall lights in the lounge grrr stupid old wiring!!!

Ah, you didn't say you've changed some other lights too.

How certain are you that these are wired as they were?

The major concern is the lights remaining on? The switched live i would expect to be the single red + Earth this is connected to the red of the red and black which links to the second light to power it, the single black at light 2 is the neutral from the mains and links to the neutral of light 1 , the earths should be sleeved and connected to the earth terminals.

The major concern is the lights being permenantly on during one of your attempts? This is very worring and i think you should get an electrican to check the polarity and earthing of your installation.

Regards,

DS

Last edited:
I have a multimeter now ☺ thank you for your advice dead shot , I do think it's a case of me not wiring it correctly because prior to replacing the lights it all worked fine.

If the earths (the unsheathed bare wires) really are involved in this I can't help you, but while putting a new pair of wall lights in our living room onto existing wiring & switch I found a very similar arrangement. In my case the wall lights weren't wired with T&E but there were three single sheathed wires each side - but like you there were two black and a red on one side, two red and one black on the other.

Took me quite a while to figure out what they'd one (see wiring diagram pic - earths not shown for ease) The only reason I could think of for doing it this way was it meant that there were an equal three wires each side. If you just paralelled them up you'd expect to see four one side, which would not have fitted down the narrow solid metal conduit embedded in the plaster.

Attachments

• Wall Light.jpg
    Wall Light.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back