How to repressurise Flexcon expansion vessel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having read previous posts I have established that I need to repressurise my Flexcon 18/0.5 expansion vessel. However despite the pressure gauge showing zero and the system being cold I am unable to pump any air into the vessel. When I depress the valve no air (or water) escapes so does this mean there is a blockage in the valve or is there something else I am missing somewhere? All help appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Are you trying to repressurise still connected? What's the system pressure at the combi (zero?? you say)

No air from the nipple indicates it's empty, but trying to do it in-situ means you're fighting hydraulic pressure from whatever water is in the pipes, so to make it easier, open the drain off valve an let some water out while you use your footpump.

What you need to do is drain the tank, disconnect it from the system, so the water connection is open to atmosphere.
Connect your foot pump/gas bottle and pump it up until you get the precharge pressure on your guage, which should be on a data plate or sticker.
If however you still cant pressurise it, it may be the Shraeder/car tyre valve is knackered, you can get these from Halfords. It may also mean the bladder inside the metal casing is ruptured or burst=new expansion tank!

Thanks to both for helpful and incredibly quick replies. What I need to know now is am I able to disconnect the expansion vessel as suggested without draining down the entire central heating system - and if so how? Disconnecting the mains water supply is fine as there is a stop valve on that side - but connection at the other side (to HW cylinder and also to boiler) has no shut off so am not quite sure how to proceed. Help please!

Sponsored Links
Should have perhaps mentioned earlier that the expansion vessel is part of a sealed system including megaflo hw cylinder and geminox oil fired condensing boiler - not sure if this is relevant or not!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back