How to repressurise expansion vessel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a boiler and expansion vessel upstairs, and a few days ago, notices the upstairs shower had crap pressure. The pressure gauge on the expansion vessel shows next to zero, so it seems I need to repressurise it. There's a filling loop attached (as seen in the photo), but only one black valve, and turning it does nothing. I've detached the filling loop, and nothing comes out when I turn the valve. I don't see a second black valve anywhere. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_6812.JPG
    IMG_6812.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 3,557
  • IMG_6811.JPG
    IMG_6811.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 3,247
Sponsored Links
The pressure on that gauge has nothing to do with the pressure from your shower. I think you may have multiple problems. Are any other outlets suffering from reduced flow?

When did you last have your boiler serviced?

I think you may need a service to include checking the filling loop.

Tony

Sponsored Links
as @muggles correctly says you have more than one problem , the flow rate in your shower and the system primary pressure are not the same thing, but possibly could be related by a blockage or restriction somewhere that is affecting both your shower and your filling loop, and it has absolutely nothing to do with getting your boiler serviced

When did you last have your boiler serviced?

I think you may need a service to include checking the filling loop.

Tony
Rubbish! What has a bioler service got to do with the water pressure coming out of the shower?

Rubbish! What has a bioler service got to do with the water pressure coming out of the shower?

Bioler?

The OP has already been told that the pressure from the shower has nothing to do with the pressure on the gauge.

But the boiler is not going to keep on working much longer unless the pressure is increased.

Why don't you read the thread properly and stop being so abusive?

Tony, without 'abuse' let me ask you the same question

What has boiler service or lack of, got to do with system being at low pressure
System could be at low pressure, simply because someone has bled the rads?
Clearly, there is loss of system pressure, no indication boiler is at fault
Nothing has been said about boiler malfunction;)

I've got a boiler and expansion vessel upstairs, and a few days ago, notices the upstairs shower had crap pressure. The pressure gauge on the expansion vessel shows next to zero, so it seems I need to repressurise it. There's a filling loop attached (as seen in the photo), but only one black valve, and turning it does nothing. I've detached the filling loop, and nothing comes out when I turn the valve. I don't see a second black valve anywhere. Any ideas?

That filling loop looks to have Check valves at both ends (these are directional) the one at the vessel is pointing the correct way, is the one at the other end? The arrow on it should point towards the braided hose.
What type of shower do you have? Is it gravity fed from the cylinder and cold water storage in the loft? Or is it an electric shower, fed by mains cold?
Have you checked the tank in the loft to see if it full and that the ball valve is operational?
Have you shut off any isolation valves anywhere?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back