how to run in new van?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm shortly going to be taking delivery of a new Transit Connect van and whilst it's a company vehicle, I've got it for 3 years and would like to keep it running well. I know, certainly for older cars, the idea of running in was to vary the revs and speed for about 500 miles and I'd assume that's true of modern cars.

However, here's the problem. The first journey I have to make is about 375 miles from Yorkshire to Gatwick so that's motorway driving through the vast majority of the run in period. Any suggestions on how best to deal with this? The journey usually takes about 6 hours so taking an alternative route isn't really viable.

Sponsored Links
Modern machining methods are that precise, that a period of running in, is no longer required, the main essentials are good quality lubricants, and correct engine cooling.
Just don't let the engine labour, change down to correct gear, and the vehicle will serve you well.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
.....or change it for a Mercedes Sprinter and marvel how they can reach the ton on the motorways :eek:
John :)

Your only keeping it for three years, its got a three warrenty as well so I wouldn't worry..

.....or change it for a Mercedes Sprinter and marvel how they can reach the ton on the motorways :eek:

Then panic when it will not stop fast!

As for running in don't worry about it just drive it kindly for the first few miles, after that replace the throttle peddle with a on off switch!

The van has been on order since end November and it's a simple choice between a Transit Connect or a Skoda Octavia, the basic model. I like the Octavia, but the base model is very different from the other models in spec, plus I get the tax benefit of having the van. There is no option to upgrade or go for another vehicle, and besides, as I say, it's been on order for ages, litteraly waiting for the call to say it's in.

I agree, it's only three years I'm keeping it, but my current car is on 117k miles and not as healthy as it used to be, want to look after this van like I look after my own cars. (with respect)

And the Transit will hit a ton, but seeing as I rely on my licence to keep my job, I don't speed anyway so top speed is quite irrelivant.

As someone that organises company vehicles for employees, it's wonderful to hear that sentiment that you want to look after it like your own.

Sponsored Links
Back