How to run suitable waste pipe to loo in log cabin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a log cabin in the garden and want to fit a loo in it. To run a new underground waste from the cabin to the cess pit would be a big job so I'm looking for an alternative.

There is an existing outside drain close to the cabin but its the one the kitchen sink drains to and is open (as in you can see into it through a grill). I'm guessing I can't just extend this pipe and connect it to the new loo, is this right (smells, health risk etc)? If not could I make it acceptable by sealing it in some way?

The other issue is that will I need a vent pipe going up from the back of the cabin?

I have permission for the cabin but not the loo, so I don't need to meet every final reg - I just want to do a decent job.

Would appreciate any advice. Cheers

Sponsored Links
nick99 said:
I am installing a log cabin in the garden and want to fit a loo in it.

Oh please - this has to be a wind-up. "Log" cabin?

Ok then, a 'wooden' cabin :rolleyes:
And why do you think its a wind up? Lots of people have these garden offices, presumably a few of them have loos in them...

Softus said:
nick99 said:

You just got a dirty mind Softus :LOL: :LOL:

By wind-up I assume you mean P1ss-take :evil:

Sponsored Links
If it has a WC, it is subject to planning permission (unlike an ordinary, temporary wooden shed). So you would be better off asking your local BCO.

no no no no the vent stack that runs up the side of your house prob be the one which your house toilet flushes into
Q

There is no vent stack mate...its a '30s bungalow, the soil pipe runs from under the bathroom floor outside into the drive, there is a manhole where presumably the drain from the sink joins it, and then it runs to the cess pit.

This is all on the other side of the house BTW.

JohnD said:
A real cess pit?

Whats the definition of a real one? ;)
Actually I am not sure if its a cess pit or a septic tank. Its buried, has a couple of manhole covers, and they have to pump it out annually or so. I have not been here a year yet so I was going to ask the pumping-guy exactly what it is.

Anyway, does this make any difference to my new loo install? Cheers

Softus said:
nick99 said:

you missed "big job" :LOL: ........I`ll bet you were a Boy Scout and left those Job Done stickers in the Public Loos ;).............sounds like a septic tank

The simple direct answer to your question is you can't run a soil pipe into your sink drain - there is a trap (U bend) below the grating and you can probably see the standing water in it which seals off the smelly side of things.

But you can connect a soil pipe to the kitchen drain further down- stream, away from the open gully - this will need a new manhole to be installed.

If you don't mind cleaning a 2" pipe several feet long, which has become blocked with minced poo, or the machine breaks and you have to dismantle it, then go ahead and use a saniflo. Otherwise just stick your head in a standard pan, it's a lot more pleasant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back