Underground Gas Pipe to Log cabin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I've had a good search on the forum but can't find a simple answer.

We have a log cabin in the garden we use as our daytime office. Its quite well insulated and currently use electric heaters. With the cost rising of electric we want to switch to gas for the heating, with a gas wall heater.

We have an external gas meter about 20m from the cabin down the end of our side alley attached to the house. We have paving slabs which we can dig up without too much hastle.

My plan is to have installed a Yellow Plasic MDPE gas pipe out to the log cabin. What sort of size pipe would you recommend for a 20-25m run? It's only for a gas wall heater?

I have read that the minimum depth is 375 mm. Should the MDPE gas pipe be run in a service duct pipe throughout the length? If so does this pipe need to rise above the ground at each end for ventilation?

I am just in the planning stages and other than digging the trench I plan on getting an approved Gas engineer in to do all the installation? Just interested in my options?

Appreciate the help!
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your quick reply Dan.

Yes I will also ask the installer as well. Just wanted to get my head around materials and best practices that meet regulations.

I wouldn't have bothered asking the question on this forum if I only wanted to be told from the installer. This forum has a wealth of information from intelligent people.

Why bother with gas, most people are now installing a Split Unit Air Source Heat Pump in any small building like you have, that'll give you heat in the Winter & AC in the Summer, well with the British Summer you may not need the AC however??!!

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/2508...ixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla&crdt=0

They do vary in price & quality. I have installed loads & they're great you can get a COP of 3 if the outdoor temperatures are OK. So that's 1/3 of the running cost of your existing leccy heaters.
HTH

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I've had a good search on the forum but can't find a simple answer....
That is because there is no simple answer. There are so many factors that the correct answer would take a dozen pages of questions and replies, and that is assuming that you would have enough knowledge to supply the correct replies, which you don't.

375mm minimum depth on private land, no need for ducting. The pipe sizing should be carried out by your installer - too many variables to suggest something here.

25mm pe will be far more than enough for what you need if your going straight back to meter with proper transision fitting obviously.
Costs approx 60 quid for a 50m roll but fittings can be dear but you will only neeed 2.

Heater will be awkward thing as not many about nowadays 2 or 3 kw should do it

Bob, if you ask questions like that then it sounds as if you want to do the installation yourself.

Assuming you dig the trench then all the RGI has to do is lay the pipe in the trench and connect the supply end and install the heater ( which may have issues in a wood building! ).

But as Dickie ( welcome ! ) has said an electric unit will be cheap to run and can cool in the summer too and is removeable as well.

Tony

Thanks everyone for the quick and useful replies.

Other than digging the trench - I do not plan on doing any gas work, I have zero experience with gas.

This project probably isn't happening until the summer now ready for next winter.

I do enjoy doing my research and making sure the job is done correctly using the best materials.

I will also be getting different quotes from gas safe contractors. But I find it's useful to know about materials (especially cost) / installation methods when talking to them.

Maybe it's also worth considering the electric heat pump route. We had something similar installed when we first had it built in 2004. I think it lasted about a year then died.

Appreciate all the help. Thanks!

Yes, thats something that annoys me!

The makers give very little warrantee even on whole house sized heat pumps. I seem to remember that Worcester only give one year on units costing £3-4k. I would expect at least three years if they are confident of their products.

Many installers here also gloss over the lack of any proper warrantee. Boilers are often five years now so why not heat pumps?

Nor as far as I far as I know is there any equivalent of a Homeserve insurance cover on heat pumps.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back