How to seal a shower outlet & toilet bowl water inlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Shower waste outlet:
A year ago I resealed the waste outlet from the shower tray, using Unibond (shower, bathroom & kitchen) Triple Protection anti-mould sealant, but it now appears to have leaked again. The rubber gasket that was originally fitted did not appear to be the correct shape to fit the tray/outlet pipe, and I bodged it again with another il-fitting rubber gasket and was unable to do up the joint tightly because the rubber gasket spewed out sideways. I now may have found a suitable rubber gasket/ring. However, if that does not appear to be suitable and to enable me to do the joint up tightly, I am tempted to dispense with the gasket and rely entirely on sealant. I was thinking of not using the shower for a couple of weeks after sealing it. Can anyone please advise me, including advise about a suitable sealant?

Low-level toilet bowl water-inlet (NOT close coupled):
Please recommend a sealant to use between the glaze on the ceramic inlet at the back of the toilet bowl and the new plastic fitting on the pipe from the cistern.
The old rubber grommet/gasket was tied on with steel locking wire, I was thinking of using a jubilee clip but only nipping it up, does anyone have any advise please? I was thinking of not using the cistern for a month after sealing the inlet.

Sponsored Links
Thanks but CT1 is partly an adhesive and hence I am concerned about having problems undoing the shower joint, should I need to in the future, as it is very difficult to access the joint.

Having Googled around, I am tempted to use Dow Corning 785+. Has anyone experience of using this?

Thanks but CT1 is partly an adhesive and hence I am concerned about having problems undoing the shower joint, should I need to in the future, as it is very difficult to access the joint.

Having Googled around, I am tempted to use Dow Corning 785+. Has anyone experience of using this?

Excellent choice.

Sponsored Links
In theory, you should not need anything other than the rubber grommet (Known as a Flush Cone) but sometimes a bit of silicon is required and the Dow Corning will do the job. It should be useable after 24 hours.

As for the shower waste, I am assuming that you are talking about the thick rubber washer which goes under the tray. The washer should fit into the waste OR over the waste which prevents it from moving around. It could be that the washer you replaced the original with is not sitting correctly because it has slipped. Is it possible to change the whole waste?

This is how I would normally fit a shower waste.

Silicon around the top of the waste and sit the washer into it.

Silicon around the top surface of the washer

Silicon around the waste hole on the tray (on top, not underneath).

Screw the top half of the waste to the bottom half through the hole. The silicon will squidge out but can be removed with some tissue. Leave the shower for a couple of days before using.

Hope that helps.

That CT1 is serious stuff. I always have a tube on board. Got me out of trouble many times. Strong and extremely versatile.

Thanks squeaky.

I am not sure of the correct terms so I will describe the complete set-up, only so that you understand the meaning of my terms:-

1. A chrome strainer is attached to a short piece of pipe (tailpipe?), near the top of the pipe there is a thread.
2. The pipe passes through the hole in the shower tray, and there is a recess in the tray around the hole.
3. This recess is concave in cross section as though there should be a rubber O ring (is that a Flush Cone?) between the underside of the stainer and the recess, but none was fitted.
4. There was an 0.8 mm thick washer, that is almost flat and feels like solid plastic, fitted beneath the recess. The washer did not look like it was the correct shape for the job.
5. This washer was held vertically in place by a plastic nut, but there was nothing to stop the washer spreading out sideways. There are marks on the washer where it abutted the nut and the bottom of the shower tray recess. The original washer was very stiff but the one that I fitted spewed out sideways preventing me from doing it up tight However, neither was the correct shape to snugly fit the underside of the recess which was convex in cross section when viewed from underneath.
6. The short piece of pipe is connected to the U trap.

When I originally did it all up, I applied loads of Unibond everywhere and let it all squeeze out.

I have now bought a set of "Plumb Sure assorted rings" (rubber) from B&Q. If one looks suitable, I will fit it (as in item 3), adding Dow Corning. However, the chances of a ring being the correct size in cross section are probably remote and if it is too small I am unlikely to be able to tell. I do not have a suitable washer (as in item 4) and consequently, whether the rubber ring fits or not, I WAS thinking of bolting it all up tightly using only Dow Corning and no washers. However, maybe I should fit the original washer or if I have suitable material and hole saws, make a new washer from red fibre sheet, what do you think?

I have been unable to find a suitable chrome strainer (as in item 1), or a complete waste system that will fit the recess in the shower tray. The shower tray is over 20 years old.

Sorry that this is long and drawn out.

Thanks ALCPlumbing, my first bodge was a bad bodge and I thought that at the time, so at the moment it is my intention to use the Dow Corning as above. If that fails then I will use the CT1.

Sorry, the flush cone is for the toilet, you called it a grommet so was just giving you the correct term.

Will have another read through you post re: shower waste.

Sorry, the flush cone is for the toilet, you called it a grommet so was just giving you the correct term.

Will have another read through you post re: shower waste.

Ah thanks. The Flush Cone that I bought from B&Q looks like plastic and not as pliable as rubber. The toilet bowel is an S type, exiting through the floor, and about 50 years old with very thick enamel, consequently I suspect I will need the Dow Corning to form a good seal.

Ok, so it's NOT this type of shower waste?

View media item 86970

EDIT:-

No, not a modern trap like that, and because of the pipework I cannot fit a trap like that either. To use a trap like that I would have to lift a lot of floorboards and alter the pipework :( and anyway the recess may cause a problem in sealing that too.

The "short piece of pipe" fits into a trap like this:-

http://www.drainageonline.co.uk/images/products/c3136fd9f52e0671ab6f760b77037342SA10.jpg

It sounds like the tray would have been supplied with a special washer originally. I have had a look on some websites but obviously it's a bit difficult to advise without seeing it in the flesh so to speak.

One thing I should mention is that although silicon is great for sealing, it does tend to make rubber washers 'spew' out if you are tightening directly onto it. So a plastic washer in between would help.

Here is a link to some pics of wastes etc. You might find something? Click on the pic then click on visit page.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...hempire.com%2Fshower-valves-tag.htm;2000;2000

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks for your help squeaky, I am very grateful.

I will have to suck and see how it goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back