How to seal polycarbonate roof against pebbledash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to build my own patio cover fixed to the house. I am going to secure the beams to a ledger board on the side of the house and polycarbonate sheets secured on top of beams. The house is pebble dashed.

A problem I have is I don’t know how to seal the gap between the polycarbonate sheets and pebble dash to stop rain getting in.

does anyone know suitable methods to do this?

Thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Is there no sealant I can fill or spray in like the foam stuff that keeps water out?

Sponsored Links
As I am not a roofer, the thought of grinding in a slot and putting flashing in seems much harder than that spray which states its for the purpose. So if that spray works then it sounds so much easier to me and I would rather do that. And wont damage the side of my house in case I take it down in future. Maybe that foam is more for insulating inside the roof? I misunderstood the description, not sure will have to do more research.

If its not suitable, then I would like to know why rather than just go with the hard option, maybe its a rubbish product and the only way is the flashing, but at the moment it looks like there are suitable other easier ways?

Last edited:
If you use that foam to join the poly roof to the render then it will look an absolute shower of shyte. You’d be better off simply butting it up and leaving it with nothing at all or filling it with 100 tubes of clear silicone.
You’ve asked advice on a roofing forum and Notch gave you the right answer.
So, ok you want to do it yourself. Don’t foam it though. Buy yourself a roll of 9” foilband. It’s very sticky flashing that’s almost like chewing gum on the back, it will adhere to the pebbledash and stick like shyte to the poly. You can fit it yourself and you can manipulate it around bars and corners etc. We use it For flashing poly to render where the customer doesn’t want us to grind a chase for some reason.
Here is the link. https://hodgsonsealants.com/product-range/tapes/foilband/

Thanks Mw Roofline will have a think about that too, looks good. It says "When applying the tape to textured surfaces, such as pebble dash or rough brick, it is recommended that a bead of Silfix® U9 Low Modulus Silicone is applied to the top edge of the foil to prevent water penetrating down behind the strip.", so sounds like it can work. I dont want to use foam or silicone the whole gap if not suitable. The descriptions of those things are not great so wasn't sure myself. I thought "100 tubes of silicone" was a joke but now you mention it too. I didnt want to go buy a grinder and start ruining my house wall but would like to try to seal it myself. If I cant do it then I can get a professional in to flash it in future.
Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back