How to secure my downstairs windows and doors

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a bit of a scary evening.

Next door neighbor went out for dinner and while they were out someone smashed through the glass in their sliding doors, unlocked them and made off with their stuff.

Whilst this was going on we were sat in our dining room no more than a few feet from her back door with our windows open. We didn't hear anything.

We have the same doors in our dining room so I'm a little worried about how easy the glass was to smash. Do any of these window security films work? I'm trying to think of ways to make the door harder to get through.

Sponsored Links
What sort of doors and glass do you have? How old?

I don't know the answer, but keen to learn more myself as i know my weak area is the French doors at the back

• Thanks
Reactions: m0t
There is no answer unless you want to upgrade to a military grade glass. If someone wants to smash your window and get in they will. You need to be looking at deterrents to stop that. CCTV, alarm, safe for high value items etc.

While all these things won’t stop someone they will make your house not an easy target meaning no one will probably even bother.

Even little things like signs saying 24hr recording make people think twice.

• Thanks
Bomb films works very well, we stopped several attepted thefts in our ground floor office space after it was attacked with sledge hammers.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
What sort of doors and glass do you have? How old?

I don't know the answer, but keen to learn more myself as i know my weak area is the French doors at the back

About two years old and toughened glass.

Bomb films works very well, we stopped several attepted thefts in our ground floor office space after it was attacked with sledge hammers.

Do you remember what film you used?

I've just put up some cameras this morning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back