How to securely fix acrylic bath to batten on wall

• Thread starter Deleted member 236319
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 236319

Hi,

I am currently installing a new acrylic bath with walls on three sides. The bath has the usual preinstalled wooden battening running along the three non-tap sides under the lip. This protrudes about 3 or 4mm below the lip of the bath. It also has the two steel frames that fix to the bottom of the bath and then to the battening.

I have fixed a wooden batten to the two non-tap end walls and built a wooden frame on the bath panel side. I've "dry" fitted the bath and found that the battening built into the bath is rubbing against the long batten on the back wall causing it to creak.

I have the five feet underneath firmly screwed to down long battens running across the joists so this part is rock solid. I have also fitted the two metal L clips to the underside of the bath battens and chased a little plaster out above to screw these into the solid wall.

My question is purely to do with fixing the two sets of battening (bath and wall) together to alleviate the creaking - what is the best method to secure them together? I will be filling the bath and applying an initial silicone seal around the sides when fitted before tiling. Should I apply a generous layer of clear silicone in between the bath batten and wall batten to "glue" them together first? Would this stop the creaking? If this is the way to go, should I apply the silicone to the battening, fit the bath then fill it while the silicone cures? Would this not squeeze most of the silicone out? Or would gripfill be better here?

Another option I have is to put some 30mm wide by 3mm thick foam seal tape (I have some surplus I can use) between the battens to stop them rubbing together (although not sure about this one!).

Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Plenty of silicone on the top surface of the wall batons and silicone along each edge of the bath that will touch a wall, fit the bath. Fill any wall to bath edge gaps, especially the corners and top edge, if there will be a shower, with more silicone and smooth down along the top edges, clean off excess & fill bath to the overflow and and leave overnight. Once the wall surface is on then apply your final seal along the bath edge.

The creaking you can hear is the edge of the bath flexing, once it's fixed down then that should disappear.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back