How to shorten a copper pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a newbie DIYer I've been going round the house installing TRVs in place of the old manual radiator valves. Everything went okay upstairs where there are floorboards and plenty of movement in the pipes but I've run into a snag downstairs where the pipes go straight into the concrete floor.

The new TRVs sit 3-4mm higher on the pipe than the old valves and don't line up with the radiator tails so I've come to the conclusion that I need to trim a bit off the end of the pipe. The question is, what's the best way to do it? I don't think I can cut it off with a hacksaw or pipe-cutter as there is so little material to take off I think I'd just mangle the end of the pipe. In the end I have shortened one with a (very blunt) file, but it took ages and I've got four more to do. Is there some trick I'm missing or should I just invest in a better file?

Cheers
Keith

Sponsored Links
I would normally use a junior hacksaw for this, or you could cut the pipe back shorter and put in a straight compression with a piece of pipe the right length.

You would trim the tail into the rad with a hacksaw and then knock the nut and olive on a bit and fit the valve

Sponsored Links
Should be no problem cutting 2-3mm off the pipe with a decent
junior saw and blade.

Forget the file. Goodness knows how much crap and filings dropped
down the pipe into the system.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll give the junior hacksaw a go.

Terry - I'll have the emergency services on standby :)

Gasop - I take your point about crap dropping down the pipe. Luckily the radiator I was experimenting with is right next to the drain-off point so I'll flush it through before I refill.

Take rad off wall and see if brackets have been fitted via slots - If so loosen and move rad to position needed (worth a try).

I'm pretty sure they're not on slots, SpecialK, as I had them off for decorating last year. Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

Forget the file. Goodness knows how much crap and filings dropped
down the pipe into the system.

Same will happen when junior saw is used :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back