How to shut off power to consumer unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Given my setup (please see pic), how do i shut off power to the consumer unit?

Attachments

• IMG_20230426_181146501~4.jpg
    IMG_20230426_181146501~4.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 239
Sponsored Links
What do you need to have done? The main DNO fuse would be an option for the DNO to attend to cut the seal, then a dual pole Isolator could be fitted.

Sponsored Links
What do you need to have done? The main DNO fuse would be an option for the DNO to attend to cut the seal, then a dual pole Isolator could be fitted.
Do not be tempted to pull that fuse yourself. It is potentially very dangerous without the correct knowledge and safety equipment.

Why do you have the bus bar exposed with the mains switch on?
I like to live life on the edge!

I'm going to change the consumer unit.

I was hoping for a isolator switch to shut off power coming into the consumer unit.

Replacing a consumer unit in domestic premises in England or Wales is notifiable work under the Building Regulations. Unless the work is undertaken by a person registered with an electrical self-certification scheme prescribed in the regulations, notification of the proposals to carry out the work must be given to the appropriate building control body before the work begins.

This is one of the few electrical jobs where it will probably be cheaper to have the work carried out by an electrician who is scheme member rather than DIY plus the expense of building control fees for inspecting and testing the work.

Replacing a consumer unit in domestic premises in England or Wales is notifiable work under the Building Regulations. Unless the work is undertaken by a person registered with an electrical self-certification scheme prescribed in the regulations, notification of the proposals to carry out the work must be given to the appropriate building control body before the work begins.

This is one of the few electrical jobs where it will probably be cheaper to have the work carried out by an electrician who is scheme member rather than DIY plus the expense of building control fees for inspecting and testing the work.
And what if you change the consumer unit and do not notify building control?

Seemingly, nobody will know and life will go on?

Two of my neighbours did large extentions. They didnt notify anyone, they definitely didn't obtain any planning permission, party wall agreements, buildover agreements etc.

Nothing happened. In fact, one recently sold their house without issue.

Given the above, would changing the consumer unit myself be that egregious?

If you do go ahead and pull the red fuse bear this in mind, so that you do it with full knowledge of the possible consequences:
If something goes wrong, the only protection between you and the transformer could be a fuse at the substation. If your installation is on the end of a long service, that fuse probably won't respond and in such a case the only real limit to the fault current is the impedance of the service cable. Should the cut out fail while the fuse is being removed (which can happen), a serious explosion with significant arc energy could result - the consequences being damage, fire, serious injury or death. The DNO use PPE for removing these fuses which you are very unlikely to own.

The safest solution would be to get your DNO to fit a double pole isolator between their supply and your CU. This is usually a fairly low cost (sometimes even free) option.

There are penalties for breaking building regulations. If prosecuted, you could be faced with a fine of up to £5,000, plus £50 for each day after the conviction that the work is not put right.

I get the feeling you won't be accepting any advice that differs from your DIY plan on this one, and you clearly live in an area where nothing bad ever happens, so your options seem to be:

* Switch off the red switch
* Cut the tag off the red fuse and pull it
* Check for dead and do the work

Or

* Switch off the red switch
* Check for dead
* Dismantle the CU, carefully cutting it apart to get the red switch out without damaging the cables
* Fit the red switch to an isolator enclosure like this one (https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/1667266-100a-dp-electricity-meter-isolator-switch) - discard or use elsewhere the supplied isolator if you can't find an enclosure without a switch
* Use the red switch to isolate the supply, fit new tails to it to supply your new CU

Be careful; this could easily be the last thing you ever do
I am not as hard headed as the thread makes me appear :mrgreen:

Thanks for advice, particularly the bolded. It's aways important to be reminded of this fact.

The safest solution would be to get your DNO to fit a double pole isolator between their supply and your CU. This is usually a fairly low cost (sometimes even free) option.
Great advice. This is my first port of call.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back