How to skim over this old wall with some blown plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen lots of threads about this sort of issue but every case has details that are slightly different to ours... and I want to get the right advice here.

We are renovating our 1950s house and all our walls are like this (see below). Previously, all walls had wallpaper - which was carefully removed - but lots of the old skim came away very easily.

Some of the old skim is stuck fast and sounds solid when knocked but I'd say around 20% is hollow / loose or has already fallen off. The walls are brick (red brick / cinder block) covered in what I guess is a traditional sand cement coat. We don't have lathes.

My question is this - if you were going to skim over this, how would you prepare the wall to ensure good adhesion and a level finish? PVA? FeBond Blue Grit? Wet it down first?

Can someone write out the exact steps one should follow so I know. I am getting a professional to do this but just want to know the ideal approach before they dive in.

PXL_20230217_153519272.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'd chip the wall back to the backing plaster. You don't take off all the skim coat. By doing this any loose bits will come off and then any sound plaster with have the chips dug through for the new plaster to stick. If that makes sense.
I'd give it a coat of beeline sealer following guidelines as that kills the suction.
Then you have options.
Bluegrit some like as nice to skim over, but I tend to PVA and when sticky plaster. Just quicker and easier for me.
Bluegrit is like beeline ( polymer) but has sand in it so using beeline first makes it easier to apply bluegrit plus the extra sealing of the surface.

It doesn't matter really what you use over products like beeline tbh. It's just what you prefer.
PVA on its own works but I struggle with suction and fast setting of new plaster.

I've also used gardz to seal then PVA over.

So to answer.
Chip through surface skim. Don't be too fussy with it.
Beeline or gardz. Allow to dry.
PVA and skim

Thanks @Wayners - if I understand you correctly, you mean take a hammer and chisel and chip at regular intervals / rows along entire walls. What's loose comes off, what's not stays on. Then prep + skim?

(The other option I have is to board it all then skim - but I'm wary of that due to losing space, higher cost and any risk of damp / mould behind boards and so on)

Sponsored Links
Thanks @Wayners - if I understand you correctly, you mean take a hammer and chisel and chip at regular intervals / rows along entire walls. What's loose comes off, what's not stays on. Then prep + skim?

(The other option I have is to board it all then skim - but I'm wary of that due to losing space, higher cost and any risk of damp / mould behind boards and so on)
Yes you have that correct.

No don't board over

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back