How to split out a 30A socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have an essentially unused oven socket (rated 30Amps) which currently is used by our gas hob/oven to tell the time using a 3A plug.

What l want to do is temporarily move some of the other electrics (toaster/kettle/washing machine) over to this otherwise unused circuit, so l can free up some of the other ring mains for additional load.

I have checked this ring supplies only that socket. The problem l have is that any plug and socket based method of splitting this out to additional appliances is limited to 13A multiways etc... the end result being that l'll probably blow the multiway's fuse within a few days of use. And that's the best case scenario.

Is there anywhere l can get a heavy duty multiway to use with this socket, or am l limited to fitting a whole new wall socket, which isnt really 'temporary'?

Sponsored Links
Theres no way you can put more than 13 amps on one socket. ever. The only extensions suitable for this have an M8 bolt in the fuse holder, but these will probably burn down your house.

Out of interest, I was brewing up at home the other day, and halfway through the 3KW kettle boiling, I realised some bonzo had plugged it into the 4-way extn thats supplying the dishwaher (which was running). I touched the cord and it was quite hot (5 metres coiled up on t'worktop). There must have been 18-20 amps running through it, and its on a 13A fused plug top. They can take some abuse, but its not recommended, due to the fire risk involved.

If that socket is on a 4mm or 6mm radial (typical cooker circuit), you can fit a couple of double sockets there safely as long as the circuit protective device is rated for the cable.

assuming its a cooker outlet on a cooker circuit that has been replaced with a socket you could change it back to a cooker outlet then take a 6mm cable from that to some 13A sockets mounted on a board.

if you do this i reccomend building the board using single sockets and use good quality ones so you can get 2x6mm in the terminals, doubles are not built to take 2x13A loads.

Do you really need to free up the other circuit?

I would do as pluggy says, but use 4mm from the wall.

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
assuming its a cooker outlet on a cooker circuit that has been replaced with a socket you could change it back to a cooker outlet then take a 6mm cable from that to some 13A sockets mounted on a board.

if you do this i reccomend building the board using single sockets and use good quality ones so you can get 2x6mm in the terminals, doubles are not built to take 2x13A loads.

Thanks for the replies, l'll try this one.

l need to free up more of the kitchen circuit as it also feeds part of the upstairs where l need to run a couple of servers. I might be being overcautious but l do not want them sharing with 13a appliances. These servers have 2 or 3 1150W PSUs* (probably 1500W at max operation inc PSU inefficiency per server).

*one acting as redundant back up.

By the way l'm running these servers from 3 double sockets (already fitted) l am assuming this is OK or should l check out the wiring on the ring/spur that feeds them? All l know about these sockets so far is that they are part of a 30A ring that supplies half the kitchen, seperate from the cooker main.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back