How to spot a good plasterer?

But how many ceilings are there to be plastered? It makes a difference if there are four or eight.

4 beds
2 bathrooms
hall
landing
lounge
dining room
kitchen

Some small ceilings, some bigger. I expect these quotes seem too low, but hardly unusual for us to hear as 3 quotes were around the same sort of figure. It was the quote of £500 that even we thought was too low. We wouldn't use someone who quotes so low as we would be expecting the ceilings to be a mess.

Sponsored Links
The £500 guy may be a contract plasterer who will be very fast and very good.
You never can tell.

Sorry but grow some balls and ask them out right, politely of course.. Are they anygood, your are looking for a good finish and you are willing to pay for it.

Make this plain and get them to understand this and don't pay them, or agree a lower price if your not happy.

Sounds harsh but why should anyone settle for a substandard job, ESP if you made it clear before they started.

I agree. Tell them to a one ceiling first. If they are any good they'll agree.

Sponsored Links
Time is money though, expect to pay a bit more if you want them to do one ceiling, then return at another time to potentially do the rest.

If you want a good plasterer, ask a decorator for a recommendation. Believe you me, decorators know good plastering when they decorate it!!!

The easy solution is let the one you trust do one ceiling and then review as you go along. Most spreads would refuse to enter into a "do the work now and be paid later" situation.

If you waived a contract in my face for a small job like that I'd tell you to shove it where the sun shines...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back