How to spot a water leak under the floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler is losing pressure..my plumber has checked it, as well as the radiators, and that there is nothing wrong with them, he advised to check the pipes, but they are under the floor.

As we have all new floors, we don't want to rip off everything and try to find it where the leak is.

Could anyone advise how to spot it without damaging the floors.

Thank you

Suzy

Sponsored Links
you can`t if the pressure drop is not to bad use some fernox leak sealer, hopefully that`ll fix it.

Any damp or discoloured spots on any of the ceilings?

cut a hatch under the stairs and climb under only way you can if leak sealer dont work. think GREAT ESCAPE and you've got the idea.

Sponsored Links
cut a hatch under the stairs and climb under only way you can if leak sealer dont work. think GREAT ESCAPE and you've got the idea.

i heard it all now.

thats what i had to do to gain access as all our floors are real wood!
the crawl space was only around 18" and the plumber had to drag his tools tied to his ankle in a polly bag.
just as well the plumber was small in stature :p

good luck to him.

theirs only one place i would of dragged my tools, thats back to the van.

lol yeah, but he is my employee!............i made it worth his while.

hire a thermal imaging camera, then go around the house with it with the heating on. if there is a leak in the pipework, then it should hopefully show up.

If its not possible to locate a hidden leak through lack of obvious signs maybe you can identify a likely area of the leak (daft that it may seem but its an idea).

Can you remember if any pipe work was knocked or damaged in any way when the new floors were fitted ?

Perhaps you have had some new pipe fitted because the prveious was interfering with the new floor ? maybe you had the oportunity to hide some pipe as you had exposed the floor so had the pipe refitted or modified in some way ?

Is any area of pipe work exposed to the cold ? that could have now become damaged ?

Worth asking yourself these questions as least if you do have to open up the floors you can try the most likely area first.

If the pipes have been there for years (and with no problems) and now you have new floors and only since having the new floor you have a leak then I would assume pipe work has been interfered with in some way since the fitting of the floors.

Any new plumbing work is more than likely the culprit.

How was the floor fixed?

Was it screwed or nailed and was the boiler losing pressure before the floor was fitted?

If not get in touch with floor people and explain to them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back