how to spruce up the front of house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm moving into a 2 bed terraced house (see pic) shortly and want to spruce up the appearance of the house

What can i do aside from new doors and windows?

I think repointing over time would help.

Also, above and below the windows and doors where the concrete lintels and ledges are - the ledge under the window has part of the
Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 19.35.21.png
masonry missing - is there a way to fill this in or do i need to put a new one in?

Fire away - what would you do to spruce it up?

Sponsored Links
Would be useful to see what the rest of the terrace looks like.

However, jest wash the lintel and ledges tonbring then up. Paint the down pipe, can’t make out the guttering. Tidy up the sky dish cable with cable ties and cable clips if necessary.
De-weed in front of the step.
Remove the net curtains and fit nice Venetian style blinds to all windows.
Remove the fan in the window.
Use astonish or cif on the upvc door and frames or replace if necessary.

HTH?

Nicer/coloured front door and paint the concrete window heads and cills white?

Sponsored Links
if you paint the lintels white, as the paint erodes, it will leave marks running down the wall.

cheers for advice

what colour combo door / lintel paint would you go for with the red brickwork? The houses either side have black colour lintels but i think they look depressing.

White heads/cills, grey or bold poster colour door with nice chrome knob and knocker.

if you paint the lintels white, as the paint erodes, it will leave marks running down the wall.

Is that a general thing then or sometime specific your looking at on this house? It’s never happened on mine or any others I’ve seen. Assuming no ones planning on emulsioning them

tip I got from an old painter.

If you look, you may see it.

I’d have RAL7001 frames and a dark blue door.

And does it have a bit of front garden? Even half a meter would look good with railings around it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back