How to stay compliant and get windows done at lower price?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A chap i know, works for a company installing windows.

If i got the chap to fit some windows/doors (i.e. private job) , would i then need to get the work checked and signed off by building control?

Also does anyone have any recommendations on how to source windows at a low price? Ideally, i would like to bypass the window retailers and their extortionate prices

Sponsored Links
The chap you know who works for a company installing windows should be well versed on whether a job needs BC sign off or not i.e. any brickwork involved or making any alterations to apertures ect, assuming not then you at least want a certass/fensa cert from the chap but again seeing as this will be a private job then it's unlikely your chap can provide one, not even a ten year guarantee so be careful, if you need a cert then BC will need to be involved

Sourcing windows at a low price, ask your chap however you pay peanuts you get monkies

The chap you know who works for a company installing windows should be well versed on whether a job needs BC sign off or not i.e. any brickwork involved or making any alterations to apertures ect,
Most window replacements require B Regs, regardless of whether they involve alterations to the brickwork, however FENSA only cover direct replacements, even non structural apterations such as lowering the cill height are no longer covered by FENSA.

Sponsored Links
Go with a local window company to quote:
Survey and supply only
And also separate fit price
Maybe offer to dispose of waste, have dustsheets down ready and to do the cleaning.

Cheap windows and doors are cheap for a reason (crap materials and construction), Have fitted loads of cheap doors people have got from the diy stores over the years, I'm normally back to fit something decent 3-5 years later when they start falling apart.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back