How to stop a copper pipe turning in the wall?

You are if you think there could be a way to stop a pipe rotating in a pushfit joint without holding it or altering it. :LOL:
Right, so I was looking for ways of holding it or altering it ya dozy git!

Sponsored Links
Why didn't you just use a through the wall tap assembly pipe which has a flange fitted for securing to the wall?

Why didn't you just use a through the wall tap assembly pipe which has a flange fitted for securing to the wall?
Because I'd only seen them used with outside taps, and not seen a drain point with that thread. Just never bothered to look for one I guess. In fact I've never seen any drain point done this way, they all seem to just poke through the wall on the end of a copper tube on all the houses I've lived in.

Since I've bought all the bits I'll probably just put in an elbow now, but it's worth using the tap assembly next time.

cheers,
S.

Sponsored Links
Keep Calm and call a plumber!
What I did :), and after his visit the drain point was pointing sideways. It made me realise I need to fix this. Didn't want to mention this earlier in case the thread went off on a tangent about how to choose a plumber or this and that, but hey, this is DIYN, why fight the inevitable? :rolleyes:

Or..... Put a valve on the inside of the wall where it won't freeze and blow apart and pipe it outside to a drain...

You are if you think there could be a way to stop a pipe rotating in a pushfit joint without holding it or altering it. :LOL:
Right, so I was looking for ways of holding it or altering it ya dozy git!

nah...you were looking for some kind of magic solution, there ain't one,it was a daft question. :rolleyes:

Just wondered if any Speedfit experts out there knew of a better (quicker, less fiddly) way.

just put a plant pot in front of it if you are worried about the kids touching it, it's a drain off for the heating, why are you worried that someone may not hold it while using it, it's only likely to be used once every 10 yrs

It should have a valve on the inside and the draincock is only to keep the dirt out, so finger tight is all it needs.

What you don't need is water in the pipe that'll freeze on the first day of winter.

It should have a valve on the inside and the draincock is only to keep the dirt out, so finger tight is all it needs

I thought we were talking about a heating drain off not a outside tap, or do you want to take the floor up every time you wanna drain down :rolleyes:

It should have a valve on the inside and the draincock is only to keep the dirt out, so finger tight is all it needs

I thought we were talking about a heating drain off not a outside tap, or do you want to take the floor up every time you wanna drain down :rolleyes:

You should have a trap in the floor, you sure as hell don't want a dead leg of water stuck through the wall.

You should have a trap in the floor, you sure as hell don't want a dead leg of water stuck through the wall.

yes of course silly me & there i was thinking putting an outside drain off was suppose to make things easier, i'm sure there aren't any customers that mind having a trap in their laminate or tiled floor, or having to have their very expensive carpet pulled up, providing it's lagged under the floor & it isn't 20' long it's not gonna freeze

Funny attitude are you asking or telling.

Bring on the abuse CBF, you obviously know best. :LOL:

Tell me why an outside tap will freeze and an heating pipe stuck through a wall wont. :rolleyes:

An outside draincock enables you to drain the pipework under the floor, and no other reason.

I've had a through-the-wall drain cock on my heating system for best part of 30 yrs and never had an issue with freezing or turning (it is ALL copper pipe) or anything else for that matter. No internal shut-off. It just works, end of. :)

• Thanks
Reactions: CBF

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back