How to stop a copper pipe turning in the wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put in an external CH drain stop-cock, one of the copper ones on the end of a copper pipe, which then goes into speedfit elbow. I can't figure out a way to stop it turning in the wall when I open it with a spanner - any ideas?

thanks,
S.

Sponsored Links
Can't you just put some grips (Footprints or waterpump pliers) on it to stop it turning?

Yes, I can remember to do that, however there is no guarantee that whoever is servicing the system after me will bother do the same.

I am pretty new to speedfit, so I've never had this problem before as the stopcock was always going to soldered joint inside the house. I get the feeling that rotating pipes while the system is under pressure is asking for future problems.

Always had copper inside the house in the past, so there was always a bit of solder stopping the stop-cock from turning. I know the way to solve this which is to go buy a piece of copper put an end-feed elbow on the pipe inside the house, put another length of copper on that and them secure the pipe to a joist. Just wondered if any Speedfit experts out there knew of a better (quicker, less fiddly) way.

cheers,
S.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I can remember to do that, however there is no guarantee that whoever is servicing the system after me will bother do the same.

I think the point is that if it won't undo without turning then whoever does it will have to grip the fitting to stop it. It's not a case of 'remembering' to do it, surely, if it turns then you just figure how to stop it?

if it turns then you just figure how to stop it?
I think you're missing the point. I don't want it turning in the first place. I can turn it with my hand. My kids playing in the back yard can turn it, even with the mastic that I squirted in around the pipe. The speedfit fittings don't have any resistance to rotational forces whatsoever. I tried to wedge in some bits of wood around the pipe but they didn't help much either.

If no other ideas I'll just resign myself to putting in a soldered elbow the other side, put a pipe clip on the extra copper tube, then go speedfit from there on. I just *hate* soldering stuff under the floor :(.

regards,
S.

Are you for real Shagster????

do you not think these are problems proffessionals face every Day??

TBH serves you right for using plastic push fit!!

any decent engineer would always use a pair of grips to "hold against" it's just good engineering practice even on copper or steel pipes :rolleyes:

Are you for real Shagster????
Yes.

do you not think these are problems proffessionals face every Day??
Yes, that's why I'm asking on a forum where I might get an answer from one such professional. Why else would I post here?

Boilerman2 said:
TBH serves you right for using plastic push fit!!
Are you for real? Thousands of professionals use plastic without issue. You're obviously a troll.

Boilerman2 said:
any decent engineer would always use a pair of grips to "hold against" it's just good engineering practice even on copper or steel pipes :rolleyes:
If you tried one of those utility keys and it turned then you'd not bother holding against. It's a RUBBER seal. You're not living in the real world if you expect everyone to do that. You only hold against if you know you have to put force on it.
:rolleyes:

Put a secured kink in the pipe

45 deg elbow and a 45 deg street elbow, with a pipe clip either side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back