How to stop kitchen mixer tap from dripping?

Sponsored Links
You may have a grub screw on the round bit, or more likely you unscrew the lever( the bit you hold to operate the tap) and there's a grub screw below it.

Sponsored Links
You may have a grub screw on the round bit, or more likely you unscrew the lever( the bit you hold to operate the tap) and there's a grub screw below it.

You were quite right, I was able to unscrew the the lever and beneath it there was a grub screw, which I duly unscrewed. At this point I expected the cover/grip part of the tap to come away, but having removed the grub screw, nothing happened. Is it likely to be just seized with limescale, or is there some other action I need to do at this point?

Limescale probably. Pour boiling hot water over the handle ,wrap a wet cloth on the tap body. The heat may help expand it. Plenty of elbow grease as well !!!
Spraying wd40 into the hole where grub screw was may also help ,but give it an hour to take effect.

Yes, did the job, thanks. Just required more force than I was initially applying.

Once you get the cartridge out, give is a soak in a solution of citric acid. Usually it is the lime scale build up which prevents them sealing properly. You can get a tube of citric acid powder quite cheaply at the chemists.

Once you get the cartridge out, give is a soak in a solution of citric acid. Usually it is the lime scale build up which prevents them sealing properly. You can get a tube of citric acid powder quite cheaply at the chemists.

Useful tip, thanks! The actual problem is not that it is dripping all the time but that the lever of the hot tip now goes slightly beyond the vertical position and when it does so, it drips. If it's in the vertical position (which is the furthest point the cold tap will go to, as it should be), there's no problem. As long as we remember to keep it in the vertical position when switching off it's OK. It's just a bit of a nuisance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back