How to stop my pipes making a noise ? Is this Water Hammer ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I switch on my tap, I hear a small 'knock'.

If my washing machine, it's a lot worse - sounds like someone is hammering. Only happens when water is flowing.

I have switched off the stop-cock, opened all of the taps, and turned back on the water. The noise is still there. (When switching off the stop-cock, there's hardly any water coming out of the taps).

I have isolated the washing machine, to see if it was the washing machine, but the problems is still there.

If I only turn the stopcock a small amount (less than a qtr turn), then the noise is reduced.

I have not noticed any noise from the upstairs bathroom, or when using the shower.

(My heating system is a combi, pressure 1.5 bar situated on the upper floor)

What is required to solve the problem ?

Sponsored Links
Loose pipe work or faulty stop cock.

Turn off mains in street and renew jumper/washer in stopcock and check for loose pipe work.

Andy

Hi There,

You say you have a 1.5 bar reducing valve to your combi system. does the feed from the washing machine come after this reducing valve? if so this may be the problem.

You may find that you are getting watter hammer as a result of either too little or too much water flowing through the reducing valve (due to failure)

Some reducing valves have removable cartridges and filters which can be cleaned, however if the valve is scaled up on the outside i would advise against this as the cartridge may fall apart.

May be worth testing the pressure after the valve to see if it is running below 1.5 bar and going from there.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
My Combi system is a Greenstar 30Si.

It has a display telling me pressure (I assume in the boiler) is 1.5 bar.

I don't know if I have a reducing valve, or where it is if I do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back