How to stop the missus killing my broadband...

There are 2 x cat 5e cables running into that room, one to a printer and the other to a desktop in there. Have tried powering both off when the treadmill is on and it still happens

You would need to un-plug the cat 5 leads from printer and desktop as there could still be an earth ( system 0 volt ) loop via the cables.

The wire under carpet or floor board being crushed when tread mill occupied is a known cause of similar problems.

Sponsored Links
have you got ADSL filters on your phone line?

we have one at the master socket splits phone and extension to computer

at other end we have another one modem is connected to it and so is the credit card machine (on the phone socket)

we have a wired network from the modem (sitecom) to main computer 2 mtrs and to laptop 5 mtrs no problems with interference

How are your phones and router connected to the phone line?

Hi

Do you currently have a microfilter at each phone point, or do you have a proper filtered faceplate an your BT NTE5?

If it's the former, you need to do the latter.

Have a look at the second item on this page.

Steve

Sponsored Links
You would need to un-plug the cat 5 leads from printer and desktop as there could still be an earth ( system 0 volt ) loop via the cables.
You can't get earth loops on unshielded Cat5 - it is transformer isolated at both ends.

You can't get earth loops on unshielded Cat5 - it is transformer isolated at both ends.

There is capacitance coupling between the line side winding and other circuitry in the units. High frequency noise signals are coupled to the line via that interwinding capacitive coupling hence earth loop abliet capacitive coupled does exist.

I have a friend with the same problem, its occurred in two different properties. what make is your treadmill? i think theirs is a roger black, but it may be something else.

I'm not suggesting that it isn't possible to inject interference via the ethernet ports on a badly designed device, but it's wrong to call it an earth loop.

Also, any noise induced into the cable will be common mode noise and rejected at both ends by the transformer balanced connection.

I'd lay money on the interference from the noisy motor directly affecting the analogue telephone wiring in the house rather than anything to do with the ethernet cables, hence my suggestion of a proper faceplate splitter.

I'm not suggesting that it isn't possible to inject interference via the ethernet ports on a badly designed device, but it's wrong to call it an earth loop.

I used the lay man's term earth loop.

Also, any noise induced into the cable will be common mode noise and rejected at both ends by the transformer balanced connection.

Agreed... the spurious signal will not be seen as a false data signal but the energy of the spurious signal will go through the equipment to find a route to the other pole of its source ( completing the circuit ). This will invariably be via the earth and/or signal grounds of interconnected equipment.

I'd lay money on the interference from the noisy motor directly affecting the analogue telephone wiring in the house rather than anything to do with the ethernet cables, hence my suggestion of a proper faceplate splitter.

Yes fully agree but the route for the interference may be via the cat 5 to the patch panel and from there it is reaching the un-balanced phone line. ( capacitively cross coupled in the patch panel wiring ) If the ADSL is split from the telephone wiring at the NTE5 having the less than well balanced ADSL pair in the patch panel and subjected to the interference will defeat the benefits of the split at the NTE5.

Agreed... the spurious signal will not be seen as a false data signal but the energy of the spurious signal will go through the equipment to find a route to the other pole of its source ( completing the circuit ). This will invariably be via the earth and/or signal grounds of interconnected equipment.

But it's not a ground loop and there is no circuit to complete. The devices at both ends are transformer isolated and the router (and probably the printer) are almost certainly not grounded anyway - so how can you have a ground loop?

Yes fully agree but the route for the interference may be via the cat 5 to the patch panel and from there it is reaching the un-balanced phone line. ( capacitively cross coupled in the patch panel wiring ) If the ADSL is split from the telephone wiring at the NTE5 having the less than well balanced ADSL pair in the patch panel and subjected to the interference will defeat the benefits of the split at the NTE5.

The O/P said his phone line comes into the property at the location of the patch panel. I'm presuming his router is also located there so fitting a filtered faceplate will isolate the DSL from the rest of the house cabling.

If the router is not located immediately adjacent to the incoming phone line, then there's the next thing the O/P should do to try and resolve the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back