How to support Rafter on RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are planning an extension that will abut to our pitched roof. This will involve cutting back rafters and replacing the roof plate with an I-Beam. I would like to understand how this should be installed to continue to support existing rafters please. The below shows 2 options of how I envisage this should work
1701685834342.png

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Like for like option 2 has got to be greater load bearing, but you might to lower the ceiling

Blup

Sponsored Links
Thank you kindly, But is Prop2 still a possibility provided the beam is sized correctly or are there other factors what would prevent this configuration

Not an SE, you need to take expert advice, but supporting a joist on one half of the web will have implications for loading/torsional forces, but ultimately depends on design.

Blup

I prefer prop 3 which is like prop 1 but the ceiling rafter is put on top of the beam along side the existing rafters

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back