How to survive an apocalypse?

Its 200 foot, it isnt by any stretching going to trigger an ELE. Like i said before , its the 1 Km ones that you want to panic about, and there all well spotted and tracked

That's a comforting thought, pity it's wrong.

You have evidence of a 1Km near miss that we all missed?

Didnt think so..........

Sponsored Links
Its 200 foot, it isnt by any stretching going to trigger an ELE. Like i said before , its the 1 Km ones that you want to panic about, and there all well spotted and tracked

Didnt think so..........

...when was the last time we saw a near miss 1km meteor?

Didnt think so..........

...oh, after a bit of research, the SafeGuard survey, set up to find Near Earth Objects have a GOAL of trying to detect atleast 90% of 1km or larger N.E.O.s.
SO...when they hit their GOAL, we still have a 10% chance that we will never see that 1km or larger object.
http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=12842&page=44

Sponsored Links
you know what? I'm gonna stop researching this... :eek:

On March 23, 1989 the 300 meter (1,000-foot) diameter Apollo asteroid 4581 Asclepius (1989 FC) missed the Earth by 700,000 kilometers (400,000 miles) passing through the exact position where the Earth was only 6 hours before.
eeeeeep!!!!....
ok so it's not 1km across but 300m and missed us by only 6 hours.... :!:

1950... and it has a 1 in 300 chance of impact when it comes back in 2880.. not that that really affects us..

Exactly my point, it is not like these things are happening everyday, so the fact that there hasn't been a near miss of 1km + that we HAVEN'T seen lately isn't suprising considering there hasn't been ANY 1km near misses in over half a century.

we're due a 400m one named apophis to maybe hit us in 2029 or in 2036 ( when it comes round again ).. they aren't sure yet if it will miss a "gravitational keyhole" ( small area in space where the earths gravity will alter the asteroids trajectory a bit ) that will cause it to hit us..

it will apparently pass within the orbit of geostationary comunications satelites when it passes in 2029..
so that's between us and the satelites..!!!! holy crap that's close...

we're due a 400m one named apophis to maybe hit us in 2029 or in 2036 ( when it comes round again ).. they aren't sure yet if it will miss a "gravitational keyhole" ( small area in space where the earths gravity will alter the asteroids trajectory a bit ) that will cause it to hit us..

it will apparently pass within the orbit of geostationary comunications satelites when it passes in 2029..

Un no it isnt, the Clark geostationary Orbit is 36,000 Km, thats 9 earth diameters.

Didnt think so..........

So you're confident that all space rocks over a certain size have been spotted. Even the ones on highly eliptical orbits which might take god knows how many years to come around. Not to mention the supposed billions of them in the outer solar system which could be sent our way by chance collisions at any time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oort_cloud
The inner solar system has always been under bombardment, look at the moon......and buy yourself a helmet.

Un no it isnt, the Clark geostationary Orbit is 36,000 Km, thats 9 earth diameters.

WOuld you agree with my point earlier that at best we only know 90% of NEOs over 1KM?

Sponsored Links
Back