How to survive an apocalypse?

I wasn't talking about war.. more natural disaster of epic proportions..

you know, meteorite or new ice age or global flooding etc..

Sponsored Links
If a meteorite was heading toward Earth, I think that it's existence would be vigorously denied for as long as possible, as in the film 'Deep Impact'.

An ice age or global flooding would be more gradual, I wouldn't have thought that it would descend upon us, as in the Film 'The Day After Tomorrow'.

But the Earth could end up like the film '2012', with the Earths crust breaking up.

Or a fleet of alien ships enter our atmosphere and try to take us over, as in 'Independence Day' or 'War of the Worlds'.

But as long as it isn't like 'Mars Attacks'
:LOL:

If a meteorite was heading toward Earth, I think that it's existence would be vigorously denied for as long as possible, as in the film 'Deep Impact'.
nope too many amateur meteor spotters + the internet to keep anything like that quiet. when a new comet is discovered the entire planet knows within 8 hours.

An ice age or global flooding would be more gradual, I wouldn't have thought that it would descend upon us, as in the Film 'The Day After Tomorrow'.
true

But the Earth could end up like the film '2012', with the Earths crust breaking up.
nah, the whole premise is ******, its hollywoods version of science.

Or a fleet of alien ships enter our atmosphere and try to take us over, as in 'Independence Day' or 'War of the Worlds'.
possible. personally I think there is life elsewhere in the universe, and possibly intelligent life, but the pockets of life in the universe are so far apart it will be hundreds of years before we get the technology to meet them or even communicate with them.

But as long as it isn't like 'Mars Attacks'
:LOL:

There is an argument for keeping our heads down and not braodcasting our existence, but its a bit stable door now.

The most interesting way we could vanish is very very scary. Theres a possible death of the universe called the Collapse of the Quantum Vacuum. Its based on a theoretical possibility (unproven) that the ground state of the quantum vacuum is not the lowest possible energy state. There might be a lower state, and in theory, it might happen that at some point the vacuum tunnels down to the lower state.

The effects on our universe woudl be fatal. At a lower ground state, the laws of physics get a major rewrite. Somewhere in the universe, a single wave function woudl collapse to the lower state, and an ink black bubble of lower state vacuum would then expand out into the surrounding space. The front woudl be traveling at or faster than the speed of light, and we woudl not see it coming.

As the front sweeps over, matter that falls into the lower state area will vanish, because it cant exist under the new laws of physics. The bubble would expand out, engulfing and destroying instantly all matter. One second you woudl be here, one second later, the entire planet plus everything on it is gone.

Theres two other possible self inflicted ways we can wipe our selfs out: The Grey Goo Scenario. What if some idiot makes a nanobot that can make copies of itself using any matter, and then it gets loose? Its woudl be unstoppable, and the planet would slowly dissolve in a grey goo as the bots converted all matter to more bots.

Theres also the possibility that someone will genetically engineer and supervirus, that is unstoppable ,and does major damage to the planet by wiping out the species at the bottom of the food chains, or wipes us out. If for example, all the plankton died tomorrow, all the food chains on the planet would collapse, because they are at the bottom of loads of food chains. Life on earth would vanish within months as all the species on the planet starved to death from the bottom up.

Sponsored Links
We'd have to be lucky to see any object that was going to hit the earth, even if we did it would be pointless as there would be nothing we could do.

You guys should check this website out for more ideas :)
http://www.exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm

nah anything thats more than 1 Km diameter will be instantly spotted as soon as it shows its head. Have you any idea how many amateur comet chasers and meteor spotters there are on the planet?

We'd have to be lucky to see any object that was going to hit the earth, even if we did it would be pointless as there would be nothing we could do.

nah anything thats more than 1 Km diameter will be instantly spotted as soon as it shows its head. Have you any idea how many amateur comet chasers and meteor spotters there are on the planet?

...not enough, it is a big sky mate :)
...also there are certain approaches that would make the object invisible i.e. without a deflection of the suns rays.

http://www.thetechherald.com/article.php/200910/3093/Earth-in-near-miss-asteroid-encounter

...also there are certain approaches that would make the object invisible i.e. without a deflection of the suns rays.

http://www.thetechherald.com/article.php/200910/3093/Earth-in-near-miss-asteroid-encounter

Its 200 foot, it isnt by any stretching going to trigger an ELE. Like i said before , its the 1 Km ones that you want to panic about, and there all well spotted and tracked

If you want to see how to survive a holocaust/apocalypse/armageddon go see how the poorest on the planet are living, right now.

A nuclear war would not make a lot of difference to these folk as they have absolutely nowt in the first place.

The meek will inherit the earth.

Its 200 foot, it isnt by any stretching going to trigger an ELE. Like i said before , its the 1 Km ones that you want to panic about, and there all well spotted and tracked

That's a comforting thought, pity it's wrong.

Think you are still a little over confident. :)

Sponsored Links
Back