How to tell cause of flaking paint, damp ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i have a small patch of flaky paint /wallpaper near the bottom of an exterior wall , I think its plasterboarded and I think also some pipework runs through the wall.

Do I have to cut a piece of plasterboard out to see whats inside the wall ?
Or is there some other way ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
post pics of the inside flaking area and the outside area at ground level - mirror images.
beyond the flaking, check along the inside flaking wall at low level for any other signs of damp.
try and determine if its a Dot and Dab wall or a solid plaster wall?

63EB2F30-5DBD-4DCE-8A25-3CDAD9806ECB.jpeg
U
6F1D493C-028B-417A-AD7F-AB4B583F0E06.jpeg
Thanks it’s plasterboard, there are pipes running in it though so I guess that’s favourite

OP, if your still there?
i still dont know if its p/b or solid plaster?
the abutment of the "extension" and the old brick wall - esp the window sill - might be contributing to the damp. ie its possibly penetrating damp not rising damp?
the problem is historic - lines of injection holes in drilled bricks indicate damp problems at least say 30yrs ago - modern injections are from the 90's in the mortar beds not the bricks. fwiw: the injection holes are useless at that height above the FFL's.
there's also the smeared on pointing. i cant tell if its coloured mortar or linseed red mastic pointing?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for coming back to me, it’s plasterboard , does seem to have pipes running in it.

The damp patch is on the newer bricks of the extension, around where it butts up to the old wall, not sure if it’s mastic or not.

I think I’ll have to open up the wall to check if it’s the pipes as I can’t see anything obvious from outside.

sorry, i missed your first reference to p/b.
the p/b will probably be Dot and Dab.
D&D was often used to cover over damp walls.
if you removed the skirting and cut off the bottom 500mm of p/b it might reveal more. afterwards post a pic please.
be aware that damp can travel through the D&D adhesive "lumps" and show on the decorated surface.
if it was a leaking pipe then, typically, more moisture would show.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back