How to temporarily disconnect fused spur?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Mum is moving house shortly and taking her old Fridge freezer, dishwasher and washing machine with her. My husband will be disconnecting the appliances and Mum's buyer will reconnect her own appliances.

We assume the disconnection is quite straightforward. Does he just simply turn off the power at the CU, unscrew any covering plate at the fused spur, disconnect the wires leading from the appliance to the fused spur, put them in a terminal block to make safe before turning the power back on? He's unsure as we don't have any fused spurs in our house, unless you count the cooker switch.

Also if the new house has fused spurs fitted, does he just follow the same principles as before to reconnect Mum's appliances?

Many thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Turn off the main switch at the consumer unit. Disconnect the outgoing cable to the appliance. Screw the fused connection unit back in place taking care not to trap any of the wires with the FCU and it's fixing screws. Turn power back on.

disconnect the wires leading from the appliance to the fused spur, put them in a terminal block to make safe before turning the power back on?
They don't need to go into a terminal block - in fact that would be a bad idea, as it could get snagged when moving thew appliance about.

disconnect the wires leading from the appliance to the fused spur, put them in a terminal block to make safe before turning the power back on?
They don't need to go into a terminal block - in fact that would be a bad idea, as it could get snagged when moving the appliance about.
We assume the disconnection is quite straightforward. Does he just simply turn off the power at the CU, unscrew any covering plate at the fused spur, disconnect the wires leading from the appliance to the fused spur.
One would not normally disconnect wires from the appliance one would disconnect wires from the fused spur. If there is not option for some reason then I would also either disconnect in the fused spur and tape over or put a tie rape in the hole provided in the fuse holder once the fuse is removed. This would then need a tool to remove (pair of snips) so unless a TT supply would conform. Putting wires into a terminal block would be belt and braces approach just in case it was a TT supply.

However you will then need to by a new lead and so unless there is something like a lead plastered into the wall one would disconnect at the fused spur. If I was replacing with a new appliance where the cable was trapped in the wall I would cut it off and swap the fused spur for one with a cable outlet and proper grip or add a cooker connection unit.

It is unlikely the new house will have fused spur (FCU) units more likely plain sockets. Likely you will need to fit plugs. Only built in appliances will normally use fused spur (FCU) and often they will also use cooker connection units so the switch on the FCU is where it can be easy reached.

Sponsored Links
We assume the disconnection is quite straightforward. Does he just simply turn off the power at the CU, unscrew any covering plate at the fused spur, disconnect the wires leading from the appliance to the fused spur.
One would not normally disconnect wires from the appliance one would disconnect wires from the fused spur.
Eric, I think you've misunderstood - I certainly read the above (from OP) as meaning that the appliance's cable should be disconnected from the FCU. Apart from anything else, why would there be a need to open up the FCU if the cable were going to be disconnected at the appliance end?

Kind Regards, John

One would not normally disconnect wires from the appliance one would disconnect wires from the fused spur.
Eric, I think you've misunderstood - I certainly read the above (from OP) as meaning that the appliance's cable should be disconnected from the FCU. Apart from anything else, why would there be a need to open up the FCU if the cable were going to be disconnected at the appliance end?

Kind Regards, John

Yes John, thst's what I did mean. I just wanted to know if it was a straightforward disconnection, i.e. appliance cable from where it goes into spur, and also best way to deal with what was left behind at fused spur. Thanks everyone for all your help.

Yes John, thst's what I did mean. I just wanted to know if it was a straightforward disconnection, i.e. appliance cable from where it goes into spur, and also best way to deal with what was left behind at fused spur. Thanks everyone for all your help.
There won't be anything for you to 'deal with' at the fused spur. The incoming supply to the FCU has its own terminals, and you won't need to touch them, Just turn power off at CU, open up the FCU, disconnect from the FCU the cable going to your applliance and then screw the FCU plate back on.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back