Fused Spur education

Sponsored Links
I already covered my reasons for boiler above. What's your reason not to ?

No you didn't, not wrt to the boiler in the reply I quoted, and asked you about.

I didn't say needed.
Yes you did.

Look again at the sequence, and pay attention to the fact that I have not removed anything from your reply.

screenshot_755.jpg

screenshot_756.jpg

You've discussed the moaning here on more than one occasion. What current rating are you assuming for the switches?
The current rating of a "20A switch"? I would imagine around 20A :)

... and, in case it's what you are thinking of, if it's feeding a nearby single socket into which a plug with a max 13A fuse will be inserted, I don't see the OPD of the circuit as a relevant factor - but maybe you do?

Kind Regards, John

I already covered my reasons for boiler above. What's your reason not to ?
FGS - are you being deliberately obtuse?

1. The OP asked if every appliance needs an FCU.

2. You said that boilers did.

3. I asked you why.

At #3 you had not expanded on that or given your reasons, and I do not appreciate you telling me that you had. And I even less appreciate you persisting in trying to make out that when I asked you why I knew why you had said it.

Sponsored Links
The current rating of a "20A switch"? I would imagine around 20A :)

... and, in case it's what you are thinking of, if it's feeding a nearby single socket into which a plug with a max 13A fuse will be inserted, I don't see the OPD of the circuit as a relevant factor - but maybe you do?
No, I don't.

I was, if you'd care to try reading it again, properly, pointing out that you do know full well why some people object to the use of 20A switches in those applications, because you had been involved in discussing that objection on more than one occasion.

Here's a recent example:

//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/replacing-fused-spur.437234/page-3

dpm - FYI the main purpose of an FCU is to be able to "fuse down". i.e you have an extractor fan supplied via a 16 amp radial circuit and the manufacturer states it must be protected by a 3amp fuse. you would connect the 2.5mm cable to the FCU and the cable for the extractor to the load side which is now protected by the 3 amp fuse.

I was, if you'd care to try reading it again, properly, pointing out that you do know full well why some people object to the use of 20A switches in those applications, because you had been involved in discussing that objection on more than one occasion.
You appear to be having another quiet day. If you hadn't cut short your quote of my post to just "I'm not sure what they moan about" without including the "(unless they have absolutely no idea about electrical principles)", you may have realised that I understood full well what (IMO invalid) objection is sometimes put forward.

Kind Regards, John

Boilers, Timers etc, say it must be on a 3A fuse. If the boiler is feed from a 6A MCB then no it wouldn't need one, but mostly they are spured off a ring, therefore it is 99% likely the OP needs one.
Maybe.

And apologies to all the people whose eyes work properly, but

screenshot_757.jpg

And anyway - it still does not explain why a boiler NEEDS an FCU. Never heard of fused plugs?

dpm - FYI the main purpose of an FCU is to be able to "fuse down". i.e you have an extractor fan supplied via a 16 amp radial circuit and the manufacturer states it must be protected by a 3amp fuse. you would connect the 2.5mm cable to the FCU and the cable for the extractor to the load side which is now protected by the 3 amp fuse.
I think I would write to the manufacturer asking him to confirm that he had made an appliance that was so flaky and carp that it had to rely on circuit protection to stop it breaking or being dangerous.

You appear to be having another quiet day. If you hadn't cut short your quote of my post to just "I'm not sure what they moan about" without including the "(unless they have absolutely no idea about electrical principles)", you may have realised that I understood full well what (IMO invalid) objection is sometimes put forward.
I thought you did.

And I thought, and still do, that you were therefore being disingenuous when you said "I'm not sure what they moan about". The "unless..." does not get you off the hook - you know damn well what they moan about.

I thought you did. ... And I thought, and still do, that you were therefore being disingenuous when you said "I'm not sure what they moan about". The "unless..." does not get you off the hook - you know damn well what they moan about.
I see it's Friday night, and after a quiet/boring day!

It wasn't disingenuous. I confess that I don't know what the word for it is (maybe the same?!), but my statement was intended as the equivalent of a "rhetorical question" - much in the same way that I might say "I don't know why a politician/whoever does XYZ" when I know damn well their reason!

Kind Regards, John

I see it's Friday night, and after a quiet/boring day!
And I see you are still engaging in that pathetic style of attempt to dismiss things against which you have no intelligent reasoned arguments.

"I don't know why a politician/whoever does XYZ" when I know damn well their reason!
Then don't say you don't know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back