Replacing fused spur

The backbox is 25mm but there is small cavity around the box that I could put the inline fuses. ... The solution above seems my best option.
As DS has said, that would, IMO as well, be an unpleasant bodge. Having an in-line fuse outside of the back box would make it even worse - and, in any event, how could one then get access to that 'cavity around the box' to change the fuse? As I've said, apart from anything else, any arrangement like that could be a nightmare in the future for anyone who doesn't realise that there is a fuse hidden away somewhere.

There is no where that I would have anything like that in my house, or any house I had anything to do with!

Kind Regards, John

Sorry when I was referring to the solution above I meant with the GRID 20Amp switches ( as proposed by JohnW2 ) and the fused spurs on top of the units. I did not mean the fuse solution which I agree could be problematic.

Sponsored Links
Sorry when I was referring to the solution above I meant with the GRID 20Amp switches ( as proposed by JohnW2 ) and the fused spurs on top of the units. I did not mean the fuse solution which I agree could be problematic.
Oh, fair enough - I obviously misunderstood. If you feel more comfortable with 20A switches, then fair enough - but, as I said, I would personally probably just use an ordinary 2-gang light switch (of a decent make, so that the terminals were of a sensible size). For those who have concerns (I believe unnecessarily in your situation) about a (probably 10A) light switch connected to a (probably) 32A sockets circuit, even the 20A ones would still be 'under-rated', so even your 20A switches would presumably not satisfy them!

Kind Regards, John.

Or the regulations :unsure:
What regulation(s) do you feel would not be satisfied by having a 20A switch in the feed to a 13A FCU (or a single socket, come to that) from a 32A circuit (or, in context, a 10A switch in the feed to a 3A FCU)?

Do you believe that the common arrangement in kitchens of 20A grid switches feeding single sockets is non-compliant with regulations?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Not when connected to a RFC with a OPD rated at 32a .

Regards,

DS

Not when connected to a RFC with a OPD rated at 32a .
Is that a reply to my question about kitchen grid switches? If so, don't you think that the 20A 'rating' of the grid switches relates to what goes through the switch (i.e. through the switch contacts), rather than what current may pass between two conductors connected to its terminals?

IMO, this whole discussion (about the OP's situation) is getting very Jobsworth-like. In common sense electrical terms, a 10A switch in the feed to (only) a 3A FCU is not going to come to any harm as a result of 'overload', no matter what the rating of the circuit's OPD (within reason!).

Kind Regards, John

If you mean 433.1.5, there is no such regulation in my book - could you perhaps clarify? Also, to which of my questions was this meant to be an answer?
Yes. I take the point.:D
It's all very well 'taking the point' but can you tell me what (real) regulation you're actually talking about, and what it's meant to be a response to?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back