How To Temporarily Replace UPVC Double Glazed Glass Unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm going travelling to the states for a couple of months and I'm having a neighbour pop round daily to feed/cuddle my cats... but I'm going to need a cat flap.

I'm in a rented property, so this has to be a temporary installation.

Best way of doing this that I can think of is to remove a smallish (3 foot by 2 foot) sealed unit double glazing pane from one of my kitchen windows and replace it with a thick piece of ply with the catflap installed.

On my return I can then put the glass back in place.

Should this be feasible? I guess the technique for the removal and re-installation of the glass will depend on the type of frame I have. So here's a couple of photos:

Inside bottom left corner.
inside.jpg

The edge of the unit.
edge.jpg

Outside bottom right corner.
outside.jpg

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Sponsored Links
kitefan said:
Should this be feasible? I guess the technique for the removal and re-installation of the glass will depend on the type of frame I have.
Yes it can be done, remove the rubber sealant from the inside all round, push the glass unit back a bit from the front, then unclip the glazing bars for the glass to come out. I don't know the legal side of this but check with your landlord as it may effect the building insurance of fire risk, like I say I haven't a clue about this.

Can you ask the landlord if it possible to have a cat flap though the wall?
See this

masona said:
Yes it can be done, remove the rubber sealant from the inside all round, push the glass unit back a bit from the front, then unclip the glazing bars for the glass to come out.

So you're saying I need to remove the sealant on the inside side of the window? And then push the window outwards?

Which are the "glazing bars" you're referring to? And how do I remove them?

I would let your landlord know what you are doing. You dont want to come back and find that you have violated your tenancy agreement and he is evicting you. What if he pops around and sees your handywork, he wont be best pleased will he :confused:

Sponsored Links
On the inside remove the rubber sealant with a blunt tool, then go outside and push the glass unit back a bit. Unclip the white glazing bar at outside carefully with a screwdriver then the glass will come out at the front.
When putting glass back in,
Put the glass back in the frame, then clip the white glazing bar back in then inside push the rubber sealant in to tighten the glass unit against the glazing bar.

Hammer & a block of wood will push the sealant back in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back