how to test an Immersion Heater and IH stat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Q1. How would you test an immersion heater and i/h stat?
Q2. Ref. I/H wiring: is a fused switch( typically 16A) necessary, or will a 20A DPswitch(non-fused suffice)?In other words, no fuse reqd. between the C/U and the I/H.

Sponsored Links
Often between the consumer unit and the immersion, there is a 20amp double pole switch with neon , marked water heater, mounted in a clearly visible location, say on the kitchen or hallway wall, and another 13amp DP switched fuse-connection unit inside the airing cupboard, to which the element is connected to, with heat resistant flex. :D :D :D

thank you Kai, but do the regs call for a fused switch before the Cylinder/immersion heater?

The fuse will be found in the DP switched FCU in the immersion cupboard - for a 3kW element calculated as 3000watts/240volts = 12.5amps, so a 13amp fuse is appropriate (resistive load).

You need a fuse there, as the immersion flex is normally 1.5.mm sized, rated at 15amps, which is slightly more than the design current rating of the immersion, The B16 breaker will offer short-circuit protection to the cabling as a whole. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
1.5 flex says 16A in my 15th Ed, 16th Ed and 17th Ed book.

ie the CCC of 1.5 flexible cable has not changed since 1981.

If the circuit is protected by a 16A breaker, not additional fusing down is necessary.

Often, older houses have IH's off the ring. In this case, a 13A FCU is necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back