How to tighten multipoint lock bar?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Standard UPVC door multipoint lock, the bottom 2 circle cams have a bit of play in them and basically are not tight against the metal strip of the door, so basically when they fit into the strike plate there is play in the door, you can push it and let a draught in very easily and it makes a slight rattle in the wind.

Anyway to make this internal bar with the cams in tighter against the metal strip fixed to the upvc door?
20231111_161104.jpg

Sponsored Links
Can you not adjust strike plates? That's where the adjust is normally.
I have to adjust mine and check screws are tight a couple of times a year

Can you not adjust strike plates? That's where the adjust is normally.
I have to adjust mine and check screws are tight a couple of times a year
Ive pushed the strike plates a lot closer and it makes no difference at all, the top half of the door is tight and you cant push it.

The bottom half looks like it fits okay but its very easy to let a draught in with a gently finger push on the bottom of the door, its not sealed tightly at all.

Multipoint locking cams are on the maximum compression setting too.

The only thing ive noticed is the bottom 2 locking cams/mushrooms move about a bit compared to the top 2 but i cant see anyway at all to make them tighter in the door? Dont even know if that would make a difference anyway but cant figure out what else to do.

Sponsored Links
The bottom 2 of these feel a bit loose, is there anyway at all to tighten the bar with the mushroom on to the other bar as can be seen in the picture? Its almost like there should be a washer between the mushroom and bar, its not tight against the bar compared to the top 2 mushrooms?
Screenshot_20231112_080544_Chrome.jpg

They are sloppy as standard.
I think your door has not been fitted square and true.
Maybe investigate that.

They are sloppy as standard.
I think your door has not been fitted square and true.
Maybe investigate that.
Is that what would require adjustment at the hinge end or is it something completely out of my realm?

One thing i have noticed, the top corner of the door mitre line is SLIGHTLY off with the mitre line of the frame.

I think the door just needs moving slightly laterally to the right? The right hand corner is where its looser so i assume if it moves more into that space it will be more secure? As the locking cams will sit better in the strike plates?
20231112_145112.jpg
20231112_145102.jpg

Attachments

• 20231112_135946.jpg
    20231112_135946.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Moved the bottom hinge laterally so the mitre lines lined up and its secure now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back