how to tighten up tap spindle on monobloc bathroom tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The spindle on the hot water tap of my monobloc bathroom mixer tap is loose (though only two years old!!), but there are no drips. If I unscrew the casing (see attached photo--the tap is in front of a mirror, by the way), I can see a large nut (about 18mm A/F). Is this what needs to be tightened? If so, the clearance is too narrow for a normal open-ended spanner. I'd need one about 4mm thick. Do such things exist?

Sponsored Links
The nut you refer to is actually the tap insert.....that holds the rubber washer (if it has one) or is the ceramic tap cartridge itself.
A rubber washered tap will have a couple of turns from off to on, whereas a ceramic insert is only a quarter of a turn.
Either way, the tap cross head has to be removed before the insert can be comfortably unscrewed.
John :)

Is it the spindle or just the handle/capstan of the tap that's loose? You should be able to pop the cap off of the top of the tap head or a grub screw in the side and unscrew and remove it so the shroud can be removed or tighten the tap handle up if it's that that's loose.

It's a ceramic tap. (Trafalgar Serie 4 Basin). The handle and the tap rock together. The handle and spindle look like a single casting, unless the handle is an interference fit onto splines. There is no grub screw.

Sponsored Links
Now you've mentioned it, I can see a thin peripheral line around the tap handle at the end, as your diagram suggests. But how to stop the Stanley blade from chipping away the chrome plate? I've tried pressing the blade in gently and am in danger of the blade slipping off and cutting me, if not the chrome. I assume the cap is a push fit rather than a screw cap but it's a pretty snug fit!!!!

I think that cap is actually threaded but its difficult to tell (often they are knurled)....time to turn a thumb and forefinger into a vice!
John :)

Done it! I used a small rubber band wrapped around the end of the tap a couple of times to get a grip and the cap came off. Bolt all tightened up now.
I'm happy. Thanks guys!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back