How to tile this fireplace....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

The wife wants the bottom of the fireplace tiling up to the wooden beam (see pictures). I've got a couple of questions that I thought you might be able to help me with...

Firstly... which way would you put the tiles on this... would you put them longways or up/down as per these photos?

IMG_20180910_192012-1382x1382.jpg

IMG_20180910_192033-1382x1382.jpg

My gut instinct is to do them longways (the photo above) but I've only ever tiled once before and it was a bathroom with square tiles so I've no idea.

Secondly, my instinct is to start at the bottom with a tile right in the middle and then work outwards on both sides and then up? Is this the correct way to go about it? Or is there a better way?

And lastly... the fire you see in the picture is a 'real flame' gas fire that gets very hot. Do I need a special kind of adhesive or anything in order to tile on to that wall or is there anything else I need to consider?

A big thanks for any help/advice you can throw my way.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
First off- check that they are ok at the temperatures. A tile shop may be the best advisor re cement?

Set out the tiles so you can see how the shape and cut pieces pan out. You need to avoid tiny slivers of tile which will look naff. Decide whether you want a grid pattern or brick bond? How about edging?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tiger. I've order some Vitcas heat resistant adhesive and grout. I'm not sure about edging yet as I'm quite clueless with tiling. I suppose a trip to B&Q will be in order? I would just want black edging I think.

How does the edging fix on? Is it just glued on the same as the tile or is it screwed/nailed into the plasterboard (just thinking, if it's the latter, the plaster would split and crack?).

Once the edging is on, do the tiles go all the way up to the edge or do you leave a gap so that you can grout between the tile and the edging?

you dont need any special anythin just basic adhesive an grout
i dont usuly like mastic tub adhesive but a tub would be ok for that bit of tileing.

find/mark the centre of the c/breast
dry fit the tiles so that if possible you have a centred tile
and two even cuts at each end of the course

those tiles are usuly fixed vertical but with your job it doesnt matter - vertical or horizontle
the cut edges go to the floor and to the outside corner edging strip
leave a small gap at the floor for floorin movement
dont go to tight to the appliance surround - the surround might have to be future removed etc.

the edgin trim strip is glued with the adhesive make sure its plumb or level.
youl have to google for black trim but its probably out ther?

Thanks for the advice Bob. That was exactly what I was after. I appreciate you taking the time to give me the info. Cheers :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back