How to trace my copper water pipes around home?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently trying to draw a diagram of my water pipes (to and from rads, copper tank, feeder, etc...) so I can get my head around the layout and what connects to what? Has anyone got any tips on this, for example I have two pipes going to my Front Room Rad, and they then climb the wall and disappear in to the ceiling. Without having to lift every floor board upstairs, is there a simple way of seeing where they go to next!!!!!

When I work on anything, I just like to know how and where everything goes and connects?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What are you going to work on? More system and house info required.

As my previous posts, I will attempt on Monday to take out the copper cylinder in the airing cupboard. Its a 1970's Potterton boiler, gravity indirect coil type with feeder in loft.

I'm going to turn off the main supply that I see is a cold pipe in the downstairs toilet, I think this kills all the water to the tank in loft.
I'll then plug a hose into the drain tap on the Hallway radiator to drain the system. Then attach a hose to the drain tap on the bottom of the copper cylinder to empty that. Then undo the 3 pipes (2 to the coil on the side of cylinder, 1 on the very top). Fingers crossed the cylinder out and replaced with a new one.
Finally, add inhibitor to the feeder tank, turn on the main supply and hopefully all works with a bit of bleeding the rads to release air!

Thats the theory, just hoping Ive got it right!!!! Just wanted a diagram drawn of how all the pipes loop round system!!!!!!

Any advise!

Sponsored Links
That's how it should be done, but what about:

Moving any pipe work leading to the new tank?

Blocked drain cock?

Stubborn joints that won't move?

Stopcock that won't budge?

That's just a few ideas for you.

Andy

3 connections to cylinder? Where's the cold fill to it?

lol
sorry I mean 4 connections, that may have been fun, trying to rip the darn cylinder out without realising another pipe..haha!!
And your right, gonna be fun with all these connections and drain taps, as far as I know they've not been touched since the 70s.... May be a cold cold winter!!!!

Remember the new Part L cylinders are not suitable for your install, so don't just buy any random cylinder that you think looks right.

Now you got me worried.... Whats Part L?????? The new cylinder is the same size, it has the correct connections, so what is Part L???

Thanks

It's on gravity so you will need some HW cut out. Motorised valve preferred or tap stat.

Digging deeper now aren't we?

sorry thats just gone over my head... Surely why would I need to adapt the heating system with motorised things etc.. its worked fine as it was designed to do for the past 40 years. So why can I not just replace the cylinder like for like???
e.g When I replace a steering wheel on a classic car, its not essential I upgrade to power steering... or am I wrong???

regards

Part L refers to Part L of the Building regulations, introduced in about 2010.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/up... time to stick a zone valve in the pipe work

They do not make cylinders for gravity systems because of part L heat efficiency regulations brought in 2005, they are made to be used on pumped systems, if your cylinder needs changing you should update the system.

That is the regs anyway, what you do is up to you, but you will have slower heated water than before and are likely to run in to problems with airlocks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back