how to treat a pine table for outside use

Min

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks

I've got an old pine table which I want to use outdoors.

Another (very old) post says 8 coats of yacht varnish. Would I have to keep revarnishing, if so roughly how often?

Is there any new product that would do the job with little maintenance.

And what about the bottom of the legs. Surely varnish on the very bottom where they touch the ground is still vulnerable. I'm wondering if there's some kind of rubberised paint that would work.

Thanks

Mary

Sponsored Links
Rubber stops on the base , pine will eventually rot whatever you coat it with though.

• Thanks
Reactions: Min
so ambient moisture and outright rain somehow get through the varnish? That's what I feared

to be honest it will fail when the joints or #staves get wet enough for the glue to give up
varnishing or painting can actually excelerate the rot if moisture gets in but cant escape
but what ever happens it will more than likely finnish up covered in mould spots deep into the wood
#staves are loads off bits off wood glued together to give a larger bit off wood

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Hey folks

I've got an old pine table which I want to use outdoors.

Another (very old) post says 8 coats of yacht varnish. Would I have to keep revarnishing, if so roughly how often?
What is the present finish?
If it's just 'scrubbed' bare wood then an oil based product is best. If painted/Varnished then sand with course sandpaper to roughen the surface, dust off and recoat with a similar (oil based) finish - but, no matter what the finish is it will need repeating at intervals of 1 to 2 years.

• Thanks
Hi big-all - yes, it's made of staves. Seems obvious now you point it out, that these will 'go' first
Hi wgt52 - it's scrubbed bare. So tung oil, or linseed? (I know about the spontaneous combustion risk of rags used to apply!)

Thanks so much guys . . . think I'm going to have to have a chat with myself . . . and hold off till I have the cash for a hardwood table

Mary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back