How to ventilate a garage without air bricks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My garage walls are damp. Detached from the house but shared with next door and with pitched roof. The old garage door was bricked up with breeze blocks, and a side door fitted for access. The breeze blocks have become damp towards the top. The rest of the garage is sectional concrete, with a layer of bricks at ground level only 2 bricks deep.
Is it possible to create ventilation, by drilling several holes in a couple of the breeze blocks near the roof, without going to the lengths of fitting air bricks?
If so, I could do the same at floor level, thus creating a flow of air.
Thanks very much for your help.

Sponsored Links
Why your reluctance to fit air bricks?

Why are the blocks becoming damp near the top of the wall? Do you have a roof leak?

What type of roof covering do you have?

Is the garage being used for something other than a garage i.e. do you or are you intending spending a lot of time in there? A bit of damp may not otherwise be a problem in a garage?

At the end of the day what you have is a low end construction (concrete sectional garage) and you should not expect a lot from it.

The roof is asbestos, and not leaking as far as I can tell. Have also wondered if I could waterproof the roof somehow on the outside. I once covered the inside roof with boards, which quickly went mouldy with ? condensation. I have spent some time trying to eliminate draughts, without considering the need for airflow.

It is no longer a garage. I have hopes of turning it into a games room, or just a place for the kids to hang out.

No idea why the blocks are only damp at the top. The blocks do not go right to the roof. There is still a triangular portion of that wall, where the original door was, still made of the sectional concrete. It could be that there is some leakage where these blocks meet the concrete (?). I suppose I could render the outside wall??

Have never fitted an air brick, let alone in a block wall. I wondered if there was a 'quick fix' solution, to avoid removing whole blocks. I don't mind having a go, but need to feel confident that this will make a difference.

Sponsored Links
The easy way is to drill out a load of holes in the same spot and cover both sides with a vent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back